Author Topic: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW  (Read 22428 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 01 July 17 03:21 BST (UK) »
Good to know the official transcript has been ordered,  as if it had not, I would order it, to share here at RChat to help sort out and advance the quest.    I have a number of ancestors who died in NSW in the 1860s, and none of their NSW State Archives probates include their death certs.

JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 01 July 17 03:57 BST (UK) »
That's kind of you JM.  I'm sure EB would appreciate it if you could order Catherine McDonald's death transcript.  And I'll order Catherine McLean's transcript.

It's so refreshing to see someone so young being so interested in family history  :)

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 01 July 17 04:06 BST (UK) »
I think it would be sensible to wait until the info is available from the 1866 dc, as Catherine was still alive at that time, so she should have been involved in the naming of all the children of the marriage.   The Official transcript should give details of the burial, which would be the main purpose in obtaining it.

Yes, young people can be interested in family history.  My own interests date from my childhood introduction by my grandparents, when back in the 1950s when in Sydney for school holidays I was taken to The Mitchell Library (the one in Sydney NSW) to sit quietly while Gran went through some of the family papers archived there.   

I am sure you know that is not unusual for RChatters to purchase BDM documents or visit archives to help advance quests.   There's a mention at the following "How To" thread stickied to the Australia Board. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Saturday 01 July 17 04:59 BST (UK) »
Don't worry JM.  ;D  I'm taking advantage of the Super Saturday discount to order Catherine McDonald's death transcript now.

Annie has been using lots of her SP credits to download documents.

Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Saturday 01 July 17 05:21 BST (UK) »
I think it would be sensible to wait until the info is available from the 1866 dc, as Catherine was still alive at that time, so she should have been involved in the naming of all the children of the marriage.   The Official transcript should give details of the burial, which would be the main purpose in obtaining it.

Yes, young people can be interested in family history.  My own interests date from my childhood introduction by my grandparents, when back in the 1950s when in Sydney for school holidays I was taken to The Mitchell Library (the one in Sydney NSW) to sit quietly while Gran went through some of the family papers archived there.   

I am sure you know that is not unusual for RChatters to purchase BDM documents or visit archives to help advance quests.   There's a mention at the following "How To" thread stickied to the Australia Board. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0

JM

Wow, that is really interesting JM. And I thank you for your offer to purchase the death certificate, it means a lot to me. I'm currently still a high school student so I don't have a lot of money on me- usually I try to find as much as I can without spending money but if it comes down to it, I will. That is why I am incredibly grateful to everyone who has helped me in my quest thus far, and for those who have spent money/credits/time to go to huge lengths.

EBrand.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 01 July 17 05:26 BST (UK) »
And thank you Ros and Annie for spending your time and money helping me!
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sunday 20 August 17 04:08 BST (UK) »

May I please learn if anyone has ordered the official transcription of the NSW BDM certificate first mentioned back at the first reply to this now very long thread? 

JM

Yes, I have ordered the full transcription for Finley's death certificate. Not sure how long it will be but I'm pretty sure the agency I went with do not work on weekends.

May I gently ask if there’s any update on the 1866 NSW death registration – My husband and I were in Scone overnight, and so with very limited internet we struggled but managed to check this thread to see if the burial details had been posted.  We were hoping to advance EBrand’s quest on our drive back to our home this morning, via Segenhoe.  It would not have been out of our way to go off to on a slight detour in our ute (4wd) and we had our camera with us.    It may be several months before we are back up that way.  We are both sorry that we have not been able to advance this quest, and yes … I should have checked the thread before we left home and posted this request for an update at that time.

ADD
I see at least one of the official transcription agents is currently delivering orders received 16 August 2017.

JM

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Saturday 26 August 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
A quick update  (EB is understandably flat out with study at the moment).

The death transcription for Catherine McDONALD who died 1868 which I ordered was for the wrong lady. (born in Inverness, arrived at about the same time, but different husband and children). 

The death transcription for Finley McDONALD  who died 1866 which EB ordered was very disappointing (and took a long time).
   Name Finley McDONALD
   DoD   29 Nov 1866
   Place  Rouchel Brook, District of Scone
   Occupation
   Sex    male
   Age    70
   Place of Birth   Scotland
   Time in Australian colonies  25 years
   Father not known
   Occupation not known
   Mother not known
   Place of marriage not known
   Age at marriage not known
   Spouse Catherine McDonald
   Children of marriage 5 males and 3 females living
   Informant  Frank McDonald, son, Rouchel Brook
    ... skipping cause of death and illness ...
   Date of Burial 30 Nov 1866
   Place of Burial Rouchel Brook (Stonefield)
   Undertaker Henry Smith
   Witnesses Thomas Spencer,  John McDonald

Ros

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Saturday 26 August 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
I will follow up on the details re the burial as this was clearly the focus point of the question and my response asking if that dc had been ordered.  May I mention that sometimes a farm name can be found on those early civil death registrations as the burial place.   I don't see this document as one of disappointment, but rather one posing further questions ... which of course is what makes family history an interesting hobby.

I am fairly sure we have some early maps for Bowman's Gully up in that area dating from the 1870s or thereabouts ...  I will need to get to a lower drawer in one of our map cabinets though.

Perhaps similar maps are already online via land and property information's parish maps free to search...     http://images.maps.nsw.gov.au/pdf/Historical%20Parish%20Maps.pdf

Otherwise, there's always the reliable historical society and their fine local history collections.   http://upperhunter.nsw.gov.au/our-services/community-directory/scone-and-upper-hunter-historical-society-inc.aspx

Date of Burial 30 Nov 1866
   Place of Burial Rouchel Brook (Stonefield)
   Undertaker Henry Smith
   Witnesses Thomas Spencer,  John McDonald

The Official transcript should give details of the burial, which would be the main purpose in obtaining it. 

....A final source that I have is an email from someone who I am not in contact with, but who has done some research on the McDonald side. He says that someone "told me where to locate the roadside grave of Catherine McDonald's parents." (being Findlay and Catherine) ...

JM