Author Topic: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW  (Read 22402 times)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
Re: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 June 17 01:48 BST (UK) »

Did they give you the full information from the immigration records?  The handwriting is atrocious but I agree with the transcription of the entitlement certificate here:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XHL3-MLP?cc=1542665

There is a note that Findlay appeared older than the stated age of 35, and Theodore McRAE J.P. of Inverness certified that both he and Catherine were under 40.  Findlay is recorded as being 39 on the manifest of passengers.  You probably need to be a bit flexible with all the ages.

Farquhar and Nancy are listed separately as they are over 15 years and 'Farquhar' is spelt that way.  His place of birth is illegible, hers is Ayrshire.

To search and look at the church register images you need to go to ScotlandsPeople

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

The marriage indexed on FamilySearch:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT5X-X4T

This is probably Farquhar, baptised before the marriage:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBS3-QW1

You also need to be flexible with names.  I suspect this may be the marriage of Findlay's parents with her surname spelt as MACILLAVRAE:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT5H-YHQ

Debra  :)

Thank you everyone for your help on the alternative names! I always thought Farquhar as more of a surname, and wasn't sure how common the name Ferchan was! I'll remember to keep my mind open for alternative spellings in the future!

And thank you Dundee for linking me to all of these posts, it does look like that last link could very well be Farquhar and Mary's marriage, and the dates seem correct. I did know about Findlay's flexibility of age but couldn't remember if they said he put it up or down :)

What I find quite interesting is how both Findlay's and Catherine/Katharine's fathers were McDonalds. I wonder if there were many different McDonald branches at the time, as they were both from Inverness.

Thank you all for your help!
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 June 17 02:55 BST (UK) »

Possible death: 9930/1876 John McDonald parents FINLAY CATHERINE SCONE

There is a probate packet for this man also (I checked the date and it is 21 Feb 1876)
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/293365

I will photograph this also  :)

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 June 17 02:56 BST (UK) »
I found some deaths of Farquhar McDonald which didn't seem to match.   Just tried Fear* without success too.

Ros,

Did you try searching 'Fer' as the gaelic pronunciation is actually Feracher.
Not sure how it would be spelt?

Also, Farquhar may have been spelt differently.
It's not a very common name & they would all be gaelic spoken i.e. it's anyone's guess as to what it may have been recorded as & as I said, mine was down as Fergus on one census.
Being gaelic spoken & the info. being taken by English speakers could turn up a few strange ones depending on how it sounded  ;D

My man was born & still living in Scotland but the info. was still recorded as it was presumed to have been by the enumerator who was probably American?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 June 17 03:01 BST (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1870 UPPER HUNTER, Scone Police District
Francis MCDONALD, residence, Rouchel
John MCDONALD, freehold, Rouchel

NSW ER 1878 UPPER HUNTER, Scone PD
NONE with surname MCDONALD at Rouchel.

Grevilles PO Directory 1875
Rouchellbrook, a settlement in the police district of Scone, electorate of The Upper Hunter, county of Brisbane. …..
McDONALD, John
McDONALD, Frances

NSW State Archives online Deceased Estates Index has J McDONALD, (locality) Rouchel, died 31 July 1897, duty 23 Nov 1897. 

NSW BDM online death index has a Jane MCDONALD's death as 31 July 1897, registered Scone district. #9743 (her parents as Alexander and Lucy)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 June 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1870 UPPER HUNTER, Scone Police District
Francis MCDONALD, residence, Rouchel
John MCDONALD, freehold, Rouchel

NSW ER 1878 UPPER HUNTER, Scone PD
NONE with surname MCDONALD at Rouchel.

Grevilles PO Directory 1875
Rouchellbrook, a settlement in the police district of Scone, electorate of The Upper Hunter, county of Brisbane. …..
McDONALD, John
McDONALD, Frances

NSW State Archives online Deceased Estates Index has J McDONALD, (locality) Rouchel, died 31 July 1897, duty 23 Nov 1897. 

NSW BDM online death index has a Jane MCDONALD's death as 31 July 1897, registered Scone district. #9743 (her parents as Alexander and Lucy)

JM

Yes! Jane McDonald (nee Cameron) was the wife of John McDonald. Her parents were Alexander and Lucy Cameron. She dies 1897 and John dies in 1876. It is a possibility that Finlay and Catherine had more children on arriving in Aus, as I also know of another daughter, Christina Chivers (nee McDonald) who married the year after Catherine's death. This may also be the case with Francis as he wasn't with the family when they came to Aus in 1839 I would like to know where they are all buried.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 June 17 03:32 BST (UK) »
Also, I have been told that Finlay and Catherine were buried in a roadside grave, possibly the reason why I cannot find mention of their burial anywhere. Further, I can't find a newspaper article that mentions either their death or their burial.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 June 17 03:42 BST (UK) »
The John MCDONALD on the 1870 ER as freehold at Rouchel ...  Have you checked out how/when/from whom he acquired that land?  If inherited, from whom and when etc may give clues re his parents  :)

NB NSW BDM death certificates include details of burial (or cremation) and have done so since civil registration commenced in 1856.  I would expect a roadside burial to be noted on the dc.  BUT ... if there was a coroner's enquiry, in the second half of the 19th C it is possible that the burial order was not followed up with a formal registration of the death, particularly if in rural NSW where due to sparse population, it may be several years between inquests and not everyone remembered the formal paperwork processes.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 June 17 04:28 BST (UK) »
EBrand, do you know anything about Margaret, Nancy and Ferchan?

Jamjar

Unfortunately, I don't. I'd love to find out more. I can't find anything in the NSW BDMs. Also tried Trove for all three. Couldn't find anything. Also tried Ferchan as Farquhar, again nothing.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 24 June 17 04:29 BST (UK) »
An obit to Jane in 1897

Ros

adding link  ;D  http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article122735736
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland