Author Topic: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW  (Read 22492 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW
« Reply #126 on: Saturday 26 August 17 12:31 BST (UK) »
Original Post
... I still haven't been able to find anything about Finlay and Catherine's life either in Scotland or Australia, nor their children other than the ones I specified.

If anyone has any clues or anything that could help me find mention of this family, I would be so grateful!

Thank you!

The focus of EB's request was to find out about the life and family of Finlay and Catherine in Scotland and Australia.   The roadside burial was not mentioned until reply #23

I certainly understand that it is disappointing to find so little information about the life and family of Finley (and Catherine) in Scotland and Australia in his death certificate. 

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Sunday 27 August 17 03:47 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/225856596  NSW Govt Gazette 18 Dec 1866.

Stonefield

In the will of Finlay McDonald, late of Stonefield, Davis’s Creek, in the colony of NSW, deceased…  probate of the will …. Granted to Catherine McDonald,   Executrix named in the said will …. 

As I mentioned in my post #125  it is likely that Stonefield was the THEN farm name of the rural property where Finlay and Catherine McDonald had established their home and workplace.   I continue to note that I do not find it disappointing that the NSW dc for Finlay includes that his burial was recorded as Rouchel (Stonefield), or that the witnesses include a Thomas SPENCER.   Thomas is recorded on several LPI parish maps, with various holdings on Davis Creek.  There are others with surname SPENCER with property on or nearby Davis Creek in that same era.

Offline research of title deeds for MCDONALD may well give exact LPI references for Finlay’s Stonefield which likely was transferred from his name AFTER the reforms to NSW Land Title Deeds of the early 1860s.   Once that detail has been confirmed, then perhaps contact could be made by our OP with the current land-owner regarding current knowledge about Finlay’s gravesite.   

May I mention that the time between our OP’s opening post and reply # 23 was less than two full days  (I think perhaps about 40 hours  :) )……. And that her reply #23 was likely giving additional information to her reply #22 which concludes with her remarks : 

...I would like to know where they are all buried.

(#22)

and led into

Also, I have been told that Finlay and Catherine were buried in a roadside grave, possibly the reason why I cannot find mention of their burial anywhere. Further, I can't find a newspaper article that mentions either their death or their burial
(#23)

So that I understood this to mean now that various RChatters had posted details about sightings for Finlay and Catherine and their offspring in New South Wales, that our OP was sensibly asking further questions as part of her original quest.

Ros,  after re-reading this thread several times as a consequence of your reply #126, and after discussing with some of my older rellies (including retired NSW BDM senior officer), I see no value in any RChatter hectoring either myself or any other RChatter, and so I will leave it to you to follow up with the offline searching for Stonefield.   

I cannot see any post where I suggested obtaining Finlay's dc for any purpose other than establishing his burial details.   The official transcript clearly gives his burial details.  It is simply a matter of interpreting their 1866 meaning by our 21st eyes, and within the context of who provided it, and what it represents.  So, the Undertaker was Henry SMITH.  He would have lodged the paperwork that ended up being recorded by the Registrar General's department.   To me, there is nothing to be disappointed about in the information he provided.  Clearly from the NSW Govt Gazette cutting I posted above, Henry SMITH was not the only one who referred to Stonefield.

So, while I cannot say for certain that there WILL BE further official NSW records to show that Stonefield was the name for Finlay’s property at Rouchel,  I can certainly confirm that from my own research into my own family in that era and in that district that my Scottish ancestors did name their NSW property holdings, and frequently included ‘field’ as the suffix.   It may well be that Finlay McDONALD also followed similar practices when naming his property.  The official transcript certainly confirms that Finlay was buried at Rouchel Brook (Stonefield). 

Our OP has not been online at RChat since 11 August, so it seems that there's been offline exchanges between Ros and our OP of family history information including the various NSW State Archives files and now the passing over to Ros of the official transcription of Finlay's 1866 dc.   

I have changed my mind, (see reply # 125) and I will not follow up on the details of the burial ... I will leave it up to Ros to consider examining the close details needed from the various title deeds to find Stonefield and the exact location for that 1866 burial and for Ros to share that info directly with our OP.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Sunday 27 August 17 04:33 BST (UK) »
I was not hectoring you JM - I merely disagreed about the main focus of the search.

I am sure EB will be grateful for further information about the burial and a photograph of the grave.  I don't understand why you would deny EB help because I disagreed with you.

Ros

Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Sunday 27 August 17 05:09 BST (UK) »
I'm still lurking in the background  ;D

Anyway...curiosity plays a part often in research as we know & I was curious as to the name 'Stonefield'...I haven't dug into it but there's this  :-\...

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search/results?st=stonefield

Annie

Edit...I forgot to add, I was curious whether any land names may have been named after homelands in Scotland.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Sunday 27 August 17 06:27 BST (UK) »
I have previously mentioned using the lpi website re land, and/or contacting Scone Historical Society.  May I add that NSW State Archives also has long had a fine reputation re land searchings. 

Here is the NSW State Archives guide re County/Parish Maps, including details of their resources re that project. 
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/county-parish-maps-guide 

It is sensible to search not just the maps for the parish of Rouchel, but also the nearby parishes, within the County of Durham.   

From my armchair searching this afternoon, at the lpi website  … Thomas SPENCER held land on opposite sides of the water course ‘Rouchell Brook’, and so in the parish of St Aubins there’s Catherine McDONALD and Jane McDONALD as landholders with Thomas SPENCER as Catherine’s neighbour.   All the relevant land title deed reference numbers are on the holdings and may well match up with any references or deeds etc found in the probated files Ros had sought when visiting NSW State Archives as indicated earlier in this thread   

I leave it to other RChatters to follow up with physical access to the actual records held in Sydney to determine which (if any) was Stonefield, so that they may make any arrangements for photos etc. to be shared with our OP.   

After reading the info on the 1866 dc re Stonefield, and then finding the NSW Govt Gazette notice re Finlay's probate and the mention of Stonefield in that notice, I would have expected 'Stonefield' to be mentioned somewhere in the paperwork Ros photographed for EBrand.
There is a probate packet for Finlay McDONALD https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/232485

I could photograph this for you next time I am there

Ros

JM.   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Sunday 27 August 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
  The names of the properties were Stonefield, Stoney Point, Bon Accord and Black But
(the latter 3 being subdivisions of orginal for the sons)

Ros

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Monday 28 August 17 00:58 BST (UK) »
The names of the properties were Stonefield, Stoney Point, Bon Accord and Black But
(the latter 3 being subdivisions of orginal for the sons)

Thanks Ros,

Nothing pertaining to Inverness-shire so doesn't look like my theory is going to work  ::)

Places of similar names in Scotland....

Stonefield (Stonyfield, Huntly, Aberdeenshire)
Stoney Point (Stonehaven, Kincardineshire/Aberdeenshire) known as Stoney
Bon Accord (Aberdeen)
Black But (Nothing found)

Ah well...was worth the effort to try & find some connection to further the quest  :D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Monday 28 August 17 01:14 BST (UK) »
Annie, Blackbutt is both an Eucalyptus tree species and a town in Queensland.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Monday 28 August 17 02:05 BST (UK) »
Blackbutt is both an Eucalyptus tree species and a town in Queensland.

Jamjar...I was meaning no Scottish connection  ;D

Sometimes theories like mine do work but sadly not this time  :-[

Annie