Author Topic: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW  (Read 22472 times)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
Re: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW
« Reply #153 on: Sunday 22 October 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
Not any help on the current conversations/queries but I did more searching last week for a possible connection with the place name in Aus being in relation to a place name back home in Inverness.

A few links which may/may not be of relevance/interest but closest name is 'Stoney'  :-\

https://canmore.org.uk/site/76685/stoneyfield-house

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/11251/1/EN11251-stoneyfield-toll.htm

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=14758

Annie

Hey Annie,

Thank you so much for these. I know a few of my ancestors did name their properties after their properties in Scotland- but I haven't really heard anything from the McDonald side about that. Could be worth looking into though!
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Sunday 22 October 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
Just a side note; the person I was in touch with had actually visited Catherine and Findlay's roadside grave and recently sent me photos of it!! It was amazing  ;D
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Monday 23 October 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

After some searching on Ancestry.com, I have a member who claims they have information on Annie/Nancy, Findlay and Catherine's daughter. They are going to send the information to me soon, which I am very excited about. They claim that Annie married a man by the name of William Jamieson (and thus they are a descendant of the couple), I can't find much online about this union, but I'll keep looking. I'm just looking for a way to lend support to the theory that this may be my Findlay and Catherine's daughter.

EB.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Monday 23 October 17 01:08 BST (UK) »
Using wildcards there is this death
ADLAM Margaret, father Finlay, mother Catherine at Muswellbrook reg 9734/1905

obit http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article104906856

Ros

adding : no this lady was 81 so not the right one  :(

I've been scrolling through earlier posts and stumbled upon this one again. Perhaps Margaret is our lady?
What leads me to be unsure of ruling her out is that this Margaret Adlam died in 1905 aged 81. This means she would have been born c.1824. On the official document of the Archives Authority of NSW, Margaret is said to have been 14 on arrival, which leaves her birth c.1825. The years are quite close, and one thing that I've learnt over the years is that people do have the wrong ages sometimes!

Also, with the note about the Irish heritage, Margaret was married twice, once to an Irishman named Thomas Keney/Kenny of Killaloe, Co. Clare, Ireland, and then to Edward Adlam, who was British. See below:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/104906856?searchTerm=%22margaret%20adlam%22&searchLimits=dateFrom=1839-01-01|||dateTo=1940-12-31|||l-advstate=New+South+Wales

Perhaps she moved to Ireland with her Irish husband, and came back after he died/they got divorced. Or maybe she didn't move at all, but in the next notice they used her first husband's details instead of her own?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/706234

EB
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Monday 23 October 17 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

After some searching on Ancestry.com, I have a member who claims they have information on Annie/Nancy, Findlay and Catherine's daughter. They are going to send the information to me soon, which I am very excited about. They claim that Annie married a man by the name of William Jamieson (and thus they are a descendant of the couple), I can't find much online about this union, but I'll keep looking. I'm just looking for a way to lend support to the theory that this may be my Findlay and Catherine's daughter.

EB.

From NSW BDM online index (free to search)
 :) marriage in 1841
William JAMESON and Ann MCDONALD, Line 629 of Volume 25C, with district code as NA (JM confirms that Vol 25 is Church of England and NA is Scone, so likely St Luke's parish in the Diocese of Newcastle).
 :) death in 1893
registered in the Walcha district, Ann JAMIESON, parents given names INDEXED as Finley and Katherine.  #14480 

Notice the index has JAMESON for the marriage.  :)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Monday 23 October 17 01:26 BST (UK) »
Just a side note; the person I was in touch with had actually visited Catherine and Findlay's roadside grave and recently sent me photos of it!! It was amazing  ;D

Just reading through your many recent posts. 

That's great news. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Monday 23 October 17 01:57 BST (UK) »

From NSW BDM online index (free to search)
 :) marriage in 1841
William JAMESON and Ann MCDONALD, Line 629 of Volume 25C, with district code as NA (JM confirms that Vol 25 is Church of England and NA is Scone, so likely St Luke's parish in the Diocese of Newcastle).
 :) death in 1893
registered in the Walcha district, Ann JAMIESON, parents given names INDEXED as Finley and Katherine.  #14480 

Notice the index has JAMESON for the marriage.  :)

JM

Wow! Thank you so much JM! This is quite convincing, I think we may have finally found the missing Nancy/Anne! I wonder if there is a probate for her or her husband.
 :)

EB
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Monday 23 October 17 02:46 BST (UK) »
EB, I'm a little lost on this lot now & I'm unsure who Mary McNeven is  ;D

Do you know when she arrived from Scotland?

You could offer your own findings & enquire as to whether there's an error relating to Anne & Margaret in their tree which they may be unaware of?

I would be wary for now of parting with any £ unless this is through a known selling agent or with a traceable address, tel. no. etc?

What method has been offered for buying the book?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Monday 23 October 17 04:17 BST (UK) »
EB, I'm a little lost on this lot now & I'm unsure who Mary McNeven is  ;D

Do you know when she arrived from Scotland?

You could offer your own findings & enquire as to whether there's an error relating to Anne & Margaret in their tree which they may be unaware of?

I would be wary for now of parting with any £ unless this is through a known selling agent or with a traceable address, tel. no. etc?

What method has been offered for buying the book?

Annie

Hi Annie!

There has been a few online family trees who claim that Mary McNeven (nee McDonald) was another daughter of Finlay and Catherine. I have not seen any official sources to verify this yet. The people who claim to be descended from Mary have said that she was born in Scotland and came over to Australia with the rest of the family. This confuses me as she is not mentioned on the official record found in the Archives Office of NSW. At first I thought the descendant may have meant that Mary replaced one of the other female siblings- but as we begin to find evidence of Annie/Nancy and Margaret being different people and marrying, this is less likely.

I have said that I'm not buying anything yet but would like to discuss with him where the info came from and if we could share information. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Will keep you updated!
EB
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)