Author Topic: Benjamin G Ord in the 2nd Batt. Durham Light Infantry , and 4th BattDevonshires  (Read 833 times)

Offline chewboy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mark 44
    • View Profile
Hi folks.
I am trying to trace this man's Army career in the DLI and subsequently the Devonshires.

I have notes that state he was born in Poona, India, his father being in 2DLI and allegedly enlisted in  2DLI as 6841 Bugler Ord B. after they returned to the UK.
The date given is 1898, when he would have been 10 years old!!

Served in South Africa 1900-02 awarded Boer War "South Africa1902" and "Cape Colony", then returned to India.

In 1906 he entered man's service joining the 4th Batt. Devonshire Regiment with Army No 8102, returning sometime before WW1.

He was awarded Mons Star with Rosette.

He was supposedly promoted  to become the youngest RSM in the Army.
A field commission to captain followed in 1916.

Severely wounded at the Battle of the Somme and posted home to hospital.

In 1917 on recovery he was seconded to the Machine Gun Corps and saw more action in France, before returning to the Devonshires and off to Mesopotamia.

He was awarded an MBE in 1919 and was retired o the Reserve of officers as substantive captain.

In 1939 he volunteered and was posted to the RE and the Railway Training Battalion in Derby as a major.
In 1941 he was posted as a half colonel to Gareloch as commandant of the Military Port.
In 1943  he was sent back to play with trains again in Petersfield, Hants as commandant.

In 1946, he was invalided out after an operation on his gallstones as substantive Lieutenant Colonel.

If true this is one hell of a life!!!

I can find no Army docs on Ancestry to substantiate any of this, apart from his Birth, Marriage and Death!!

There are numerous docs concerning his father, a Sergeant in the 2 DLI.

Thank you and Best wishes

Mark ;)

GENEALOGY IS A SUCCESSFUL FAMILY BUSINESS

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin G Ord in the 2nd Batt. Durham Light Infantry , and 4th BattDevonshires
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
There is what would appear to be his medal card on Ancestry which correlates with some of the Great War period and later facts.  As he served after the Great War then his service record, which should include all of his service, would still be with MOD.  I would suggest your first move should be to apply for his records (assuming you are able to produce his death cert and are or can obtain the permission of hi next of kin).  See https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records.

maXD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I can only add that the Times Casualty List published 6 Apr 1915 included the following:

Devon. Regt. - Ord, 8102 Co. Sgt.-Maj. B.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

If you have got his dates and places with the Durham Light Infantry, then some Unit records appear to be at:-

Sevenhills, Spennymoor?

http://www.durham.gov.uk/article/7430/Research-study-and-education

Never been there, but it is by appointment only (currently on two days each week). Check what proof and type of ID you require, if visiting.

Enquire first, if they hold the types of records etc., that you wish to see.

--------

I've come across this before (on my Mum's side) at a Regiment Open Day, where some records appear to be at the Unit's own Regimental Museum and Archives. The Curator was volunteer. Advance appointment was required.

Incidentally, I've come across an Ord family, of Fenham Hall 200 - 250 years ago (just West of the main town of Newcastle upon Tyne).

Regards Mark

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Only his record will confirm how all the pieces of the jigsaw fit together and there are some elements that need checking.  His birth date in the army births register is given as 1887.  In 1898 when he is said to have joined up in England, the 2nd Battalion DLI were in India and returned to UK from India in 1902.  They did send a company with the 1st Battalion to South Africa but I can't find him in the Boer War medals lists.  His medal card confirms that he went to France with the 2nd Battalion Devons. The casualty list found  by Jomot is a good find.  Lists were published some little time after the relevant action and looking at the war diary for 2 Devons, I would suggest he was wounded during the action on 10/12 March 1915 when the battalion suffered 197 wounded (as well as many killed and missing) in the attack at Neuve Chappelle http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/others/neuve_chapelle_short.html.

Only his record will tell which company/battalion of the MGC he fought in after commissioning and when he transferred back to the Devons.  The London Gazette records him belonging to 2 Devons when awarded the MBE in 1919.

The aim here is only to highlight elements of his service which existing records don't seem to support and to emphasise how vital his service record will be in clarifying it all, to say nothing of confirming all the splendid between wars and WW2 service which can only be found there.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline chewboy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mark 44
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone
That is very helpful
Mark ;)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
More to query regarding Benjamin junior's early life:

In the 1901 census, Benjamin G Ord age 14 born in Poona India, schoolboy, is living in Aldershot with father also Benjamin G Ord, mother Elizabeth and 5 siblings, two more of whom also born in Poona.  From the service papers of Benjamin senior, it is clear that this is the family and this in Benjamin.
Father Benjamin had served, initially in the Lothian Regiment and then in the DLI from 1881 until May 1891 and served(in UK) in the DLI Special Reserve in the Great War 1914-16.  His papers give the date of birth of son Benjamin as 29 November 1887.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline chewboy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mark 44
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin G Ord in the 2nd Batt. Durham Light Infantry , and 4th BattDevonshires
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
I got that, thank you...Love this business,..... such a conundrum
Mark ;)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 June 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
I looked again at the Boer War medals and at the family history.  There was indeed a 6481 (not 6841) Bugler B Ord in the 4th (not 2nd) Battalion DLI who earned the Queens South Africa Medal with the clasps as you list them  As he had the 1902 and not the 1901 clasp, it is certainly possible that the 14 year old Benjamin in Aldershot in 1901 went off with the (volunteer) 4th Battalion that sent contingents to reinforce the 1st Bn.

a possible rewrite of the early part of the story?

I have notes that state he was born in Poona, India, on 29 November 1887, his father being in 2DLI and allegedly enlisted in  2DLI 4 DLI  as 6841 6481 Bugler Ord B. in 1901/2after they he family returned to the UK.
The date given is 1898, when he would have been 10 years old!!

Served in South Africa 1900-02 1901-02 awarded Boer War "South Africa1902" and "Cape Colony", then returned to India.

In 1906 he entered man's service joining the 4th (or the 2nd) Battalion. Devonshire Regiment with Army No 8102, returning sometime before WW1. going to France with the 2nd Battalion Devons in November 1914.

For what its worth

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk