Author Topic: Army regiment anyone? William James Taylor  (Read 1313 times)

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army regiment anyone? William James Taylor
« on: Thursday 22 June 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hello, this is a photograph of my grandfather William James Taylor born in Liverpool 9th May 1880 and died there 5th August 1935.

I appreciate that this is a long-shot, but can anyone identify the regiment from this photograph that I recently found?

Thanks, John

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
Re: Army regiment anyone? William James Taylor
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 June 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
Was just doing a lookup. Was his next of kin Emma Taylor (mother) 1 Earls Square, Liverpool?

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 17 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, Army Service Corps is the first one to spring to mind but may be wrong, it's not possible to see the design of the badge more clearly.

Regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 June 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
Was just doing a lookup. Was his next of kin Emma Taylor (mother) 1 Earls Square, Liverpool?

Andrew

Hi Andrew, we may have to wait for the OP to return, there is also a chap with wife Sarah and 5 kids who joined the Army Service Corps, lived at 10 Grange street, Rocky Lane, Liverpool who could fit the bill.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 June 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you all for your replies. I did try to zoom in on the badge but to no avail.

His next of kin was Mary Elizabeth Taylor address on the 1911 Census, Ash Grove York Street West Derby Liverpool.

Regards, John

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 June 17 16:44 BST (UK) »

.............His next of kin was Mary Elizabeth Taylor address on the 1911 Census, Ash Grove York Street West Derby Liverpool.

Regards, John

That discounts my chap then  ::)  :)

I'll have a scout around when I return home.

Frank.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 June 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
He is wearing an ammunition bandolier usually worn by the British Mounted Infantry around 1903-1918.
I have had a look for Mary Elizabeth Taylor on the 1911 Census and she isn't coming up, what is her date of birth and was she his wife or Mother?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 June 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
It looks as if the pic has been (not very well) enhanced.  The centre of the badge looks like a blob with clearer detail underneath.  The buttons and the shoulder titles also seem to look as if they have a centre "blob".  Or is it my eyes?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 June 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I will go with you there maxD, all the buttons as well as the badge and shoulder titles have been painted over in gold or brass colour. The landyard doesn't look right either, but not sure when that style of braided landyard came in. All WW1 landyards I have seen have been the single cord.

That bandolier could be cavalry, ASC, artillery, or any other mounted troops. The only way to tell definitively if it is cavalry is by seeing the back. They had another 4 pouches because they didn't wear packs on the back.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)