Author Topic: Catherine Perkins  (Read 654 times)

Offline Perkins1820

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Perkins
« on: Thursday 22 June 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
Looking for help to find the record of the death of Catherine Perkins (née Haven, born 1872, Tipperary, Ireland).

Also known as Katherine/ Katie. She was married to Navy man Pierce Perkins, and was living in Gillingham Kent with her son Pierce Junior as per 1911 Census.  I anticipate from Pierce's subsequent relationships and marriages that she died between 1911 and 1915, but can find no record of any death on the England, Wales or Scottishness GROs.

Any help much appreciated.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Perkins
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
She wasn't that old in 1911, was she, could the marriage have broken up and she returned to Ireland, or perhaps she moved in with someone and took their name. You say Pierce re-married, did he say he was a widower on that certificate? 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Perkins1820

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
He listed himself as a widower on his second marriage, which was in Ireland in 1921.

However Pierce had another child by another women (unknown, but Scottish I believe) in 1917, so given I haven't found a death cert I can't rule out a marriage breakup. Pierce and Catherine's son went on to be a catholic priest so I assume they were a religious family, and divorce or separation was maybe unlikely so. However Pierce was also away in the Navy, so a difficult circumstance!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
So the only thing you can be certain of is that there was a death or a break up between 1911 and 1917. If they were Catholic, I doubt if they would have divorced, so perhaps Pierce had to wait until Catherine died early 1920s to marry, have you searched up until then?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
I anticipate from Pierce's subsequent relationships and marriages that she died between 1911 and 1915, but can find no record of any death on the England, Wales or Scottishness GROs.

You say his second marriage was 1921 when he shows himself as a widower.  Although he may have fathered an illegitimate child in 1917 Catherine may still have been alive at that time so you need to extend any search for her death to between 1911-1920
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)