Author Topic: Index of Willis - Death in 1864, Fyfield  (Read 895 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Index of Willis - Death in 1864, Fyfield
« on: Thursday 22 June 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello:

I don't believe I've asked this question before (I've been researching for many years).  ;)

An ancestor is shown in the Index of Wills and Administrations - she died in 1864 and according to the paragraph under her name "The Will...was proved at the Principal Registry...". 

Is there somewhere that I may order her will, please?  Thank you in advance for any suggestions, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Index of Willis - Death in 1864, Fyfield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
Have you look to see if the will is here?

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

If so you can order it to be downloaded.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
She is mentioned on the site you suggested.  I haven't quite figured out how to order it, but I've only just started reading.  ;)

Thank you very much for your help, groom.

Actually, I now have one other question, please?  Would you or anyone else know what could be contained in a will from that time, please?  My ancestor (her son) was in Canada by 1864, her husband passed away a few years prior, and I know a bit about her other children - perhaps there might be a chance that her siblings might be mentioned?

Thank you again, groom - I probably would not have stumbled upon the site on my own.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
Can you tell me her name so I can see what it says on the site?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
Martha Mumford, died January 10, 1864.  She lived/worked at the Queen's Head Inn in Fyfield.

Thank you so much.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
groom - I did find a thread about the Mumford family.   :-[  It was from 2013 and a link was mentioned at that time but I never ordered the will.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=640956.0

Before posting this thread, I did search to see if I had asked before, but I only searched for Index of Wills, not for Martha Mumford.

I apologize for asking again.

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
Looking at that site, she did make a will, but it is really pot luck how much information it contains. Unless she left anything to her siblings I doubt if they will be mentioned.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 June 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your time and for looking.  I will search the site to see if I can find any other ancestors - if so, I will order Martha's will.  I possibly may anyway, just to have it. 

As well as now writing down the site you mentioned so I have it for future reference, my previous post contains information that I had forgotten, including a connection between William Mumford (Martha's son) and Charles Bretton.  A James Mumford (not my ancestor) and a Charles Bretton were supposedly "witnesses" (they arrived on the scene after the police were called) to a murder in England.  I will try to research this connection a bit more.

Thank you so much, groom.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 June 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
According to the Fyfield Registers (St Nicholas) Martha Mumford was buried 11 January 1864 age 66