Author Topic: Index of Willis - Death in 1864, Fyfield  (Read 3175 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Index of Willis - Death in 1864, Fyfield
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 June 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi amondg:

May I ask please if St Nicholas might be a church in Fyfield, or a district?  I don't believe I know where Martha was buried, but I will have to check my records, I could be incorrect.

Thank you very much for your interest and help.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 June 17 20:00 BST (UK) »
St Nicholas is the Church in Fyfield, the entry I posted is for her burial there.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 June 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
James Mumford age 46 was also buried at Fyfield on 30 August 1846.
Ref parish register of St Nicholas Fyfield Essex held at Essex Record Office

His death was reported in the Essex Standard dated 28 August 1846, he was of the Queens Head Inn Fyfield and died on the 25th of August 1846.
Ref: Find my Past, scanned newspapers that are on file.

ADDED
If you search Essex Pub History, you will find pictures of the Queens Head in Fyfield
built in the 15th century as of 2000 last picture taken its still a working pub.

List of those who ran the pub, same website
1845 James Mumford
1848 Martha Mumford (took over when her husband died) White's Directory
1851 Census, Martha Mumford
1855 Martha Mumford, Kelly's Directory
1862 Martha Mumford, Kelly's Directory
Martha dies 1864 and by 1867 its being run by William J Wilkinson.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 June 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
James Mumford died 1846 also left a will written 21 March 1846, his wife Martha and Simon Mumford, miller of Hatfield Broad Oak are the executors.
Probate was 25 August 1846, will proved 3 October 1846.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 June 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Children of James and Martha Mumford all born Hatfield Broad Oak

James Mumford married Martha Grange by license 21 May 1822 St Mary the Virgin Church Hatfield Broad Oak, both were single and of the parish.
Witness ? E Mumford, William Patmore, John Porter.

Matilda Ann baptized 6 April 1823
Martha bap 26 September 1824
Mary Ann bap 30 October 1825
James bap 16 January 1827
Thomas bap 15 April 1828 (born 4 December 1827)
Sarah bap 2 May 1830 (born 27 November 1829)
Louisa bap 17 April 1831
William bap 19 January 1834.
ADDED on all baptism of above children James Mumford is a butcher

Joseph GRANGE and wife Sarah, Hatfield Broad Oak
Louisa bap 9 March 1795 (born 10 February 1795 privately)
**Martha bap 25 October 1797
Peter bap 16 September 1801 buried 1 March 1804
Elizabeth bap 3 December 1804
William bap 1 March 1808 (born 2 February 1808)

The only family by the name GRANGE having children in the village at the time.
So Martha who married James Mumford is the daughter of Joseph and Sarah Grange.

Further proof.
Wills at Essex Record Office Ref D/ABW 129/2/81
Joseph Grange, miller of Hatfield Broad Oak wrote his will 7 October 1831 proved 14 September 1832, states he died November last (1831)
Left everything to his wife Sarah, his names his two sons in law James Mumford and William Patmore as executors.
(William Patmore also witness to marriage of James and Martha Mumford)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 June 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
Joseph Grange age 74 was buried 18 November 1831 abode Hatfield Mill.
From Parish register Hatfield Broad Oak

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 June 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Parish register Hatfield Broad Oak
William Patmore married Elizabeth Grange by license 27 January 1824
witness John Porter, Susannah Patmore, Stephen Gran ?

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 June 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have an ancestor James Mumford who was a hay and straw dealer in London in the 1890's?
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 June 17 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisajj:  My direct ancestor (James Mumford, born 1826) left England in 1857.  I haven't spent too much time researching his relatives so it is possible "your" James could be my James' distant relative.  My Mumfords were in the Great Dunmow/Hatfield Broad Oak and then Fyfield areas from c1740s to ??.  I believe my Mumfords were millers and butchers.  Of course James is a common name, but James is a name that was handed down several generations in the Mumford family.  Do you have a Mumford thread on RootsChat?  If so, I could have a look and see if I can be of any help with your research.

amondg:  Thank you so much for all of your research!  Some of the details I had already found (through ordering records), but I don't believe I knew where James and Martha were buried - it means a lot to me to know their final resting place.

I've been researching on and off since I was in college, which literally was decades ago.  It is time to make sure that everything that I've found and has been found by others is accurately recorded on my generation chart.

A few years ago I did stumble upon the Queen's Head photos and information, which I found fascinating.  I feel that part of the joy in researching is learning about the neighbourhoods, the structures and every day life that my ancestors experienced.

I actually do have a copy of James Mumford's (born 1800) and Joseph Grange's wills, but while I am thrilled to have the wills, nothing was mentioned about my James who left England (I was hoping that he would be included in his father's will).

I didn't realize that butcher was noted in all of the baptism records for James and Martha Mumford - that is very helpful to know.  I didn't know Joseph Grange's "abode" was Hatfield Mill - again, that's wonderful to find out.  There are probably other things that I didn't know prior to your findings, but the above were items that clearly stood out.  Note:  Over the years we have found other bits of information about the Mumfords and a bit about Joseph Grange and his wife Sarah Knight and two of the Grange daughters - I'm mentioning this so that it is known that we have found some facts in the past.  ;)  :)

amondg, thank you so much for your time, trouble and finding facts; it is really appreciated.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)