Author Topic: Hi there chatters - Henry Howard 2nd Viscount of Bindon  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hi there chatters - Henry Howard 2nd Viscount of Bindon
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 September 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hello SallyYorks:

Thanks for your reply.  It seems there is some confusion in your post.  The 1790 and 1835 citations refer to gazetteers, not Leland.  So far as I know, there is only one volume of Leland.  There is no historian by the name of Hitchins, it is John Hutchins who wrote the History of Dorset.  His work has been republished several times.  1774, 1779, 1861 and 1865.  The volumes that I have had the privilege to work with are the later volumes, although I do have pertinent information from his first volume, which was published posthumously.

As to your question about the New England clan. "Interesting site. Are you attempting to connect the Dorset landowning Nuburghs to the New England Thomas and Richard Newberrys ?

Yes.  I have been working on this family for well over 15 years.  As it turns out our dear Mr. J. Gardner Bartlett was off base by a yard in several places.  Some recent historians believe that he was trying to connect up the New England clan with the Dorset family, and was being dishonest about it to please his clients in the U.S.  See Douglas Richardson on Google. 

However, it is my contention Bartlett was not quite thorough enough when it came to studying all the John Newburghs who lived from 1402 up through 1485, neither did he have the resources we have today.  I have made some pretty amazing discoveries about it and will eventually publish my findings. However, I believe that the line from John Newburgh Esq. was inaccurately published.  I will say, the Esq. had three sons by his first wife and one son by his second wife.  It is the first wife's sons who are important to the New England colonials.   ;D :D 

I am descended from Richard Newbury of Malden, MA.  We have done DNA tests but have no conclusive evidence regarding if Richard and Thomas were related. 
medieval research

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 September 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hello SallyYorks:

... As it turns out our dear Mr. J. Gardner Bartlett was off base by a yard in several places.  Some recent historians believe that he was trying to connect up the New England clan with the Dorset family, and was being dishonest about it to please his clients in the U.S. ...

Yes he was accused of 'fraud'.

...However, it is my contention Bartlett was not quite thorough enough when it came to studying all the John Newburghs who lived from 1402 up through 1485, neither did he have the resources we have today.  I have made some pretty amazing discoveries about it and will eventually publish my findings. However, I believe that the line from John Newburgh Esq. was inaccurately published.  I will say, the Esq. had three sons by his first wife and one son by his second wife.  It is the first wife's sons who are important to the New England colonials.   ;D :D 

I am descended from Richard Newbury of Malden, MA.  We have done DNA tests but have no conclusive evidence regarding if Richard and Thomas were related.

From your website
http://www.worldwidenewburghproject.com/richard-newberry-family.html
'...Still we are unsure of where he hailed from before he arrived in New England circa 1643 and is recorded as a Freeman...'
'...I.  Richard Newbury and Sarah Robinson Newbury
Weymouth and Malden, MA
Children of Richard d. aft. 9 March 1685 and Sarah Robinson m. 1749
1. Tryal Newbury b. ca. 1649 d. 9 Dec. 1705 Malden, MA
2. Dorcus Newbury  Burrill b. ca 1651 d. 7 April 1722, Lynn, MA
3. Mary Newbury Green b. ca. 1653
4. Joseph Newbury  b. 4 Aug. 1655
5. Martha Newbury b. 6 Nov. 1657 d. May 1675
6. Benjamin Newbury b. 22 May 1660'

unquote

I take it you have discounted these?

From familysearch website

Richard Newberie
Christening Date 11 Dec 1627
Christening Date (Original)   11 DEC 1627
Christening Place HALFORD,WARWICK,ENGLAND
Father's Name   Richard Newberie
[Though this is a possible death for the above, in the same county of Warks]
Richard Newberry
Event Type   Burial
Event Date   24 Jan 1714
Event Place   Solihull, Warwickshire, England

Can't see a potential burial for these next two in England, but at these dates it's difficult to know and I haven't looked at any potential marriages yet
Richard Knowbee
Christening Date 13 Dec 1618
Christening Date (Original)   13 DEC 1618
Christening Place SELBORNE,HAMPSHIRE,ENGLAND
Father's Name   Thomae Knowbee

Richard Newbery
Christening Date 19 Jul 1629
Christening Date (Original)   19 JUL 1629
Christening Place SULHAMPSTEAD ABBOTS,BERKSHIRE,ENGLAND
Father's Name Thos. Newbery

Newberrys do seem to be quite spread out at these early dates, from Cumbria, Yorkshire, the West Country and the Midlands and also down into London.
These Newberrys are interesting, later dates than yours but transported to the colonies, probably to Virginia or Maryland but possibly ended up in NE or MA as well? Adding them for any future reference/research.

From the Old Bailey Online website

Elizabeth Newberry, Susanna Newberry, Theft > pocketpicking, Theft > receiving, 4th December 1745.
Reference Number: t17451204-5
Offences: Theft > pocketpicking; Theft > receiving
Verdicts: Guilty; Not Guilty
Punishments: Transportation

[the above are Elizabeth (accused of prostitution in evidence, quote 'a whoring', and convicted of being a pick pocket). Susanna is her mother in law. Susanna is possibly nee Roades, the wife of a James Newberry m. 1729 at Fleet Prison
Elizabeth was transported
Susanna was acquitted [interestingly a Susanna, widow, was also acquitted of 'receiving' stolen goods in 1760]
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17451204-5-defend86&div=t17451204-5#highlight

Another female Newberry who was transported was Esther
Esther Newbery, Theft > grand larceny, 17th January 1750.
Reference Number: t17500117-55
Offence: Theft > grand larceny
Verdict: Guilty > theft under 1s
Punishment: Transportation

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17500117-55-defend405&div=t17500117-55#highlight

There are a quite a few Newberrys (and variant) mentioned on the site and there may be have been more transported? The search dates only start at around the 1670's though, but interesting for anyone researching London 'colonials' to America.
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/forms/formMain.jsp

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 September 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the additional information.  I have a theory about Richard but so that we don't get off topic too far, I don't think this is where it is best placed.

There were a lot of Newberry people from other places who came to America a little later.  A group from Northants has been traced by a fellow researcher.  We believe that they are another line from the Earls of Warwick.  We have also traced the Walter Newbury of Rhode Island back to Berks.

If you would like, I will add the information below to the WWNP web site.  Just say the word.  I will also credit you for finding it.  ;D :D
medieval research

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 September 17 19:02 BST (UK) »
You could have a 'Rogues Gallery' section. Many family history websites have one.

Just cite the Old Bailey Online for their records. They worked really hard at transcribing it all. It's a huge resource and very interesting, especially the last 'confessions' about 'wayward lives'.

Some returned from transportation, illegally, and give vivid accounts of their time in colonial America, prior to being hanged after being captured .

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi SallyYork

Thanks for the additional information on Old Bailey.  I had not noticed it until you brought it up.  My time frame keeps me in the medieval TNA records.  I have put it on my list of things to add to the web site.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Newberrychaser
medieval research