Author Topic: Ayrshire placename Kaus  (Read 554 times)

Offline dave1948

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ayrshire placename Kaus
« on: Friday 23 June 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,
Can anyone tell me the name of where William was born. I cannot find Kaus in any Gazetteer, maybe I have read it wrongly. This is Ayrshire, Straiton Parish Record. I am sorry for poor image.
“McCutchon.  William, Lawful Son of James McCutchon and Elizabeth Stevenson in  ‘Kaus’  was born the 18th July 1820.”
Many thanks, Dave
Newall, Godfrey, Maskell (Essex)
Hugill, (Yorkshire)
McCutcheon, Maclachlin(Ayrshire)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ayrshire placename Kaus
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 June 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
I doubt it was Klaus. Place-names beginning with K in the area more likely to be Kil..... or Knock...... There's is a Keir's Hill and a King's Hill. There's also Clauchrie Hill. Also Cloncaird, which is near village of Kirkmichael. These are all from a modern map. 1st letter may not be K. Have you found baptisms for any other children or marriage of parents?
Cowban

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
Straiton is a very extensive parish, but from looking at some old maps, I wonder if it might be Keirs, NE of Straiton itself, and near Waterside. But as suggested, other register entries might help.

These maps might help:
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400770
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74425833
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave1948

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 June 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,

Thank you for looking.

What I have is his son, also William b.1854. In the 1861 Census he was with his parents William and Elizabeth McCutcheon both aged 38 and born Straiton, living in Kirkmichael. I have a possibility for the 1851 Census also stating Straiton but as a Farm Labourer working away from home, and in 1841 at a different farm. Somebody (in Scotland) found this page from which I extracted the copy of a birth in Straiton parish.

I cannot find his or any siblings births on Family Search, nor a Marriage for William (the father) and Elizabeth Stevenson.

Thanks,  Dave
Hugill, (Yorkshire)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 June 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
I would like to raise the possibility that the first letter is an R.

If you look at the two examples of B, both have an attack line to the left of the letter proper.

The letter at the beginning of the word in your entry has a similar attack line.  However, it's clearly not a BR is the letter most like B.

I don't think it's fanciful to see (just) the top of the upper oblique line curving back to join the main upright at its midpoint.

Offered merely as a suggestion.

Offline dave1948

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 June 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for further comments.

I agree with the suggestion about other letter possibilities. I have just finish transcribing an 1850 Litigation and with 'fancy' writing and faint 'lines' on letters, so I know what you mean. Was hopeing someone might have recognised the village/area. Keirs does look like a faint possibility from the image, and as Straiton covers such a large area, it is within the area.

Dave
Hugill, (Yorkshire)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 June 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
There is a transcription of the 1841 census for a James and Elizabeth McCutchon, both age 55, with 25 yr old Sarah and 20 yr Martha.  They are living at at Upper Baw, Straiton, Ayr. 

Could the transcriber be seeing Baw out of the same word you are struggling with?  If this is your family, it might be worth getting the original image from Scotlandspeople?

Just food for thought!