Author Topic: Scottish wills  (Read 1668 times)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish wills
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 June 17 21:02 BST (UK) »
There is a  4 John McNicol's wills - died between 1814-1816 at Edinburgh commission court & sheriff court - they all collect a man with a Jamaica / shipping contact

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 June 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry but there are not 4 Wills as you say :(

For the deceased you refer to, there is  a Testament Dative on 26/1/1814 and an Inventory of the Estate of 7/1/1814.  There is also an Additional Inventory on 14/12/1815 and an Eik on 9/1/1816. So no Will :(
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 June 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Don't miss inventory out of hand not uncommon for testament just to be registered only as inventories the information can include other info and some people will just have an inventory instead of will or both

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 June 17 08:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry but that's wrong too. By the very nature of a Testament Dative, the deceased did not leave a will (or at least one was not found).

I should perhaps say that I think the way SP have indexed and charge for these documents is wrong. If a deceased's estate requires Confirmation then the Will, if there is one, and Inventory are confirmed together almost as one document but SP seem to have them on separately for some deceased. There may be an Inventory (still Confirmation) on its own if there was no Will. Some of these Wills on their own may simply be Wills registered for safekeeping which, as I've said before, can happen
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
I should perhaps say that I think the way SP have indexed and charge for these documents is wrong. If a deceased's estate requires Confirmation then the Will, if there is one, and Inventory are confirmed together almost as one document but SP seem to have them on separately for some deceased
I have noticed that where there are both an inventory and a will, they often have different reference numbers, suggesting that they are and always have been collected into different volumes. For example, in the series SC70 (Records of Edinburgh Commissary Office), SC70/1 contains inventories while SC70/4 contains testamentary deeds, i.e. wills.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.