Author Topic: William Nix, lighterman  (Read 1021 times)

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Nix, lighterman
« on: Saturday 24 June 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there Rootschatters.
On behalf of a neighbour, who has minimal information, I am trying to find out something about an ancestor of hers, William Nix, born about 1861. Attached is a photograph she has of him in some kind of uniform. It seems that William was for many years definitely a Thames lighterman living the Bermondsey area, and possibly at some time (but with no proof) a commissionaire. Could William’s uniform be that of a commissionaire (he appears to be holding a pair of gloves, although it’s not a very showy uniform for a commissionaire)? Or perhaps it was a uniform worn by lightermen on the Thames? Any help at all regarding his uniform would be appreciated.
Also if any additional information is available about the man, I am sure my neighbour would be very pleased to hear it.
Many thanks, Scobie

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Nix, lighterman
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 June 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello
i know nothing about the Lighterman uniform but here's abit about him
William Nix birth registration June 1865 Bermondsey son of John William Nix lighter man and Mary Ann Murdock he married Ellen Elizabeth Brockwell then age 19 daughter  of Christopher Brockwell also a lighterman at All Saints Newington 2.8.1886 at which time William  was living at 44 New Church St and his father had already died.

They had 11 children by 1911=Lillian Mary Dec 1887,William John Dec 1890 died before 1911,Mary Mar 1890 died before 1911,Mary Ann 1892,Ada Emma Dec 1894 died before 1911 ,Ellen Elizabeth June 1896 died before 1911,John William Sep 1900,Albert Edward Mar 1903,Alice Sep qtr 1905,Maud  Sep 1906 and William Mar  1910.
In 1901 they are at 31 Neckinger St Bermondsey.

ps his brother John William Nix born 1863 was a Royal Chelsea pensioner

Ciderdrinker

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 June 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Possible death records -

William Nix
q3 1931, St Olave, London
Age at Death - 66
Vol 1d Page 99

Ellen E Nix
q2 1924, St Olave, London
Age at Death - 56
Vol 1d Page 99

JJ

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 June 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
William Nix was bound on 08/03/1881 and freed 13/04/1886 his master was John William Nix

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 June 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Although she was curious about William's uniform, I can now pass on the information that has been supplied to my neighbour. I know that she will be pleased to have learnt a little more about William Nix, and for that I thank all who have viewed, and especially those who have replied to, this post.
Many thanks, from Scobie.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
hi scobie 79
just found your post re William nix ,looking at the uniform it appears to be a royal marines uniform now I,ve looked in tna r marines service records 1842 - 1925 and his name doesn't show up even tried r navy service records but nothing there either [ nothing unusual in that ] so either he had his photo taken in someone elses uniform or its a photo studio mock up which happened quite frequently back then , as going by the pic he does look quite middle aged in it , and as he appears in 1911 as a waterman and lighterman possibly the pic was taken during ww1 , it would be good to hear others opinions on this .
yours
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 July 17 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor.
Initially, I thought Royal Marines, same as you. However, there is no indication that he served in the forces, and as he was approaching 50 years of age on the outbreak of World war 1 he would probably not have been needed. Also, as a lighterman loading and unloading cargoes, would this not have been regarded as a reserved occupation (especially in view of his age and experience)?
Passing on the earlier information to my neighbour, she came up with the additional information that William was actually employed as a commissionaire at London's Café Royal, so again I am thinking in terms of a uniform for that particular job. I just do not know. As you yourself point out, it would be good to hear other people's opinions.
Many thanks for your thoughts. Trevor, and hopefully more information will come to light.
Scobie