Author Topic: Jane Booth born circa 1808 Edgeworth Bolton  (Read 1953 times)

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Jane Booth born circa 1808 Edgeworth Bolton
« on: Saturday 24 June 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help find a baptism for Jane. She married John Fletcher on 21st April 1844 at St Peter Bolton le Moors. On marriage cert. under father's name she is shown as illegitimate. Full age spinster, residence Edgeworth.

1841 census shows her as age 30 Washerwoman with 3 children James age 7, Stephenson age 4 and Mary or Mary Ann age 11 months. All appear to be illegitimate.

I cannot find a baptism for Jane  but all census records from 1851 to 1871 gives her place of birth as Edgeworth and born 1807/1808.

Is anyone able to help?

regards

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Booth born circa 1808 Edgeworth Bolton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 June 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
Have you checked here

www.lan-opc.org.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 17 07:05 BST (UK) »
Yes I have checked Lancs OPC and can't find anything that fits with a birth around that time for Jane

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
How about the Jane BOOTH baptised 22 Nov 1806 (born 31 Oct 1806) at Holcombe? Residence given as Nuttal Lane, parents John BOOTH and Betty. I know its a little early and about 4 miles from Edgeworth, but a possibility?

Or perhaps she was baptised in one of the larger towns - there are a couple of other possibilities including:
12 Mar 1809 St Mary the Virgin, Bury, - Daughter of William BOOTH and Sally.  Born 20 Dec 1808, abode: Tott. (?)

Modified: Sorry, I should have read your original post more carefully, I see she said "illegitimate" on her marriage, so presumably father unknown?

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 June 17 08:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maddy for trying to help. I saw those entries and dismissed them because of Jane being listed as illegitimate under father's name on her marriage certificate.

The only possible I could see was a Jane daughter of Mary Booth bapt. at Manchester Cathedral on 13th Sept. 1807. Perhaps Mary went to Manchester to give birth.

regards

dinkey

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 June 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
This may be a coincidence. There was another Booth wedding at St. Peter, Bolton on same day as Jane married John Fletcher. James Booth of Edgeworth married Mary Oldham. Father of James was John Booth. Booth is a very common name. However James  may have been half/ step-brother. Although if that were the case one might have expected Jane to put John Booth as her father.  (Lancs. OPC)

Jane's son Stephenson was born 1837, mother's maiden name Booth. His birth is also indexed under the surname Waddicar on Lancashire BMD. Was this his father's name? Could the name Stephenson be a clue to her parentage?  There was another  daughter, Betty b. about 1841 on 1851 census. So that makes at least 4 children born before the marriage to John Fletcher.
Cowban

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 June 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maiden Stone for this very interesting find.

It is getting very complicated. Waddicar is not a very common name. I have found a James Waddicar born c 1809 at Edgeworth who married Margaret Howarth in 1835. It is possible that he could have fathered Stephenson Booth/Waddicar. Maybe the birth certificate will give me more information.

Kind Regards

dinkey

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
The surname Waddicar/Wadacre/Waddiker etc. seemed to have been concentrated around Edgeworth, Darwen, Entwistle, Turton areas. Googling the name indicates it may have been a variant of Woodacre or Whitaker. Many of baptisms on Lancs. OPC were Non-Conformist. Lancs. OPC has baptisms at Edgeworth Independent Chapel from 1807. Early in the century some babies from as far away as Entwistle were baptised at Holcombe C. of E. There was also a Non-Conformist chapel in Holcombe area to which people from a wide area went to be baptised.
Thinking about the James Booth who married on the same day as Jane. Possible baptism 1818 Edgeworth Independent Chapel, + 3 at Holcombe + 1 Bolton.
1841 Census for Edgeworth and Entwistle is extracted on Lancs. OPC. James & Margaret Waddicar were neighbours of Jane Booth. There were 3 more Waddicar households, 1 of which seemed to consist of children.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 04:16 BST (UK) »
Take a look at Turton Local History Society's website www.turtonhistory.com  It was mentioned on RC in March. The society has published a booklet about Quarlton; all the surnames connected with Jane Booth are mentioned. It has a picture of Knotts, where she lived. The website also has a Surnames Index; Booth, Fletcher, Stephenson and Waddicar+ variants are all there. The Society is walking around Quarlton this week.
Cowban