Author Topic: Peter Frederick Harms, born Hanover, Germany circa 1826  (Read 366 times)

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Frederick Harms, born Hanover, Germany circa 1826
« on: Saturday 24 June 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if anyone will be able to help me, due to the small amount of information I have.

I am researching the Harms family on behalf of an elderly relative.  Peter Frederick Harms, who was born circa 1826 Hanover, Germany, came over to England in the late 1840's and was employed as a Sugar Baker in London, as were many hundreds of German young men.  I have been in touch with Brian Mawer, who runs the Sugar Baker website and have had quite a bit of information from him.  I have had no trouble researching his life after coming to England, but would love to trace where he was born....if that is possible and some information about his family.

His subsequent marriage record gives his father as Johann Harms, a Farmer.  The record of Peter Frederick's second marriage lists his father as 'John' Harms.

I have been told that his place of birth referred to as Hanover, could have been, in the 1800's, the state of Hanover and not the town.  If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Diana
Whitney:South Wales/West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset. 
Feltham: West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset.
Whitney: Surrey, Kent.