Author Topic: Headstone lookup, Essie Churchyard.  (Read 1292 times)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Headstone lookup, Essie Churchyard.
« on: Saturday 24 June 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the grave of John Cran, my 5 x grandfather, born about 1710 in Forgue, died about 1790, probably in Mains of Lesmoir, near Essie graveyard. Many of his family have graves there. Also of his father who I think was William Cran, born about 1680, died sometime after 1718, probably in Belhinnie.
Last year I found a very old Cran grave in Essie graveyard, covered in moss, that I thought might belong to them - I thought I could make out the word William but I was unable to decipher anything more. I would be grateful if anyone is able to visit the site and could try and read the rest of the wording. I live in Derbyshire and am unable to get back to the area at the moment.
Many thanks,
Heather.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Headstone lookup, Essie Churchyard.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 June 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
The following has been transcribed by ANESFHS from Essie:

Stone 73:
Deposited under this stone is the remains of JOHN CRAN sometime farmer in Mains of Lesmore d.20 Feb.1790 aged 80, his spouse JANNET REID d.2 Feb.1811 aged 81. Their grand-son ROBERT CRAN farmer Scurdargue d.1 July 1873 aged 85, his wife MARGARET PIRIE d.1 Apr.1876 aged 93.

There are a lot of Crans in Essie, as you say, but I can't immediately see father William in the transcriptions.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you so much for this - it is definitely the correct John Cran and his third wife, Janet Reid.
I am descended from his first wife Isobel Harper, and have also been unable to find a grave for her. She died about 1750 in Belhinnie.

I have tried to upload a picture of the grave I found which I think is William Cran.
(The Cran family believe they are descended from Peter Cran in Comisty, Forgue, born about 1680, but looking at the naming system it seems much more likely to be William.) I have found a birth for John Cran, 3rd December 1711, Comisty, Forgue, father William Cran, which I think could be him!)

Is there anywhere I can find a plan of the Essie graveyard? I have looked at the ANESFHS website but can't see where the transcriptions are.

Thanks for your help,

Heather.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
The transcriptions are for members use only, they are not available for the general public to view online. If you wish, you can purchase the booklet for Essie Churchyard. The headstones are numbered & there will be a layout detailing the whereabouts of them. Details on how to purchase their publications are on their website. They are inexpensive to buy. :)
regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 June 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you, the booklet for Essie Churchyard has not been published so I think I will have to become a member. Heather.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 June 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
If it's a work in progress there won't be a plan of the layout yet. I certainly recommend becoming a member of the Aberdeen & North East Scotland Family History Society though, I'm a life member :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 June 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
I certainly recommend becoming a member of the Aberdeen & North East Scotland Family History Society though

Me too - an invaluable resource if you have ancestors in that part of the world  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.