Author Topic: PERYE family 1400s on  (Read 2331 times)

Offline sdbadger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Over there ... I will find them over there....
    • View Profile
PERYE family 1400s on
« on: Saturday 24 June 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hello:

I have Elizabeth PERYE (ca 1463 - <1558), daughter of William PERYE and Unknown FRYE. Elizabeth married Richard ROSSITER. They had children Joan (1495-1558); Philip (1499-1583); George (1505-1598).

Any information on the PERYE family of Devon, England, very much appreciated.

Thank you.
LUFF:  Illinois; Middx; Surrey; Berks
HEARNE:  Kent; Norfolk
HATHAWAY:  USA; Gloucestershire
OVENDEN:  Kent
WELLER:  Kent
SIMKINS:  Berks
WILLIAMS:  Bucks
CHARLEWOOD/CHARLWOOD:  Berks
HOPKINS: Gloucestershire
GILBERT: USA; Somersetshire
COCKS: Berks (?)

© yada ... yada ... yada

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PERYE family 1400s on
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
As you have taken your research back to the 15th century, you must already have a lot of information about these families. Can you tell us exactly what information you are still looking for?

How is it that you know Elizabeth's mother's surname is FRYE, but you do not know her given name? (It is more usual to know a mother's first name rather than her surname)  :-\

Whereabouts in Devon does the family hail from?

When and where did Elizabeth and Richard marry?

Have you checked the parish records from where they lived? When did records begin in this area?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 17 01:07 BST (UK) »

Offline sdbadger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ruskie:

PERYE is a new line for me and I posted both on the Devon and Surname forums, hoping for more information.  Currently, the name would be PERRY.

Because Edward ROSSITER, great-grandson of Elizabeth and Richard, emigrated to the USA very early on, there is a lot of information about the family in various publications. I did find mention in the Visitation of Devon, as well.

I don't have good information on where in Devon the family might be, although there is mention of the name in Paignton.  As for Combe St Nicholas, Somersetshire, the PR isn't early enough.

I've seen the marriage noted as 1490 but I've not seen any real proof. Eldest child, Joan, is noted as born in 1495 ... again no proof yet.

Again, I'm just hoping someone else might be researching the PERYE-PERRY family and have information to share.

Thanks!

© yada ... yada ... yada

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 17 05:36 BST (UK) »
Ah OK, I see.  :) You have all of this information from a published family history?

I'm afraid I don't have any experience researching in Devon - my questions were just to add a bit more information for anyone who may be able to assist you.

All I can recommend is that you use the existing tree as a guide, and do your own research, seeking out original documents, confirming each generation, and checking that there aren't others with the same names where mix ups may have occurred. This will also go some way to helping you find out if the tree is accurate or not. As I'm sure you already know, some of these published trees contain lots of errors - I note no dates on this "Perry" tree?  :-\

It is possible that the Perye surname from the 15th century or earlier morphed into other surnames as well as Perry, so that may be something to keep in mind.

As I am the only reply so far, it seems that the Devon board is a bit slow, but I hope you get some useful replies. I expect that seeing the date "1400s" may exclude some people from participating as for many of us, records have fizzled out long before this time, so probably there are few with experience who can help.

Good luck anyway.

Offline sdbadger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 17 06:11 BST (UK) »
No, I don't have all my information from a "published family history."

I do my own thorough research but do sometimes have to rely on published sources, such as the New England Historic Genealogical Society, to provide clues and direction.

Again, a new line for me. Thank you for your assistance, Ruskie!

© yada ... yada ... yada

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 June 17 06:30 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I thought the image of the tree you posted was where your information came from.

One would expect that whoever complied the tree you posted must have obtained the information from somewhere, so seeking out the primary sources of that information may be a way forward. Once you locate them, the PRs may contain additional information. (I am aware that this is sometimes the case in other regions)

Hopefully someone with knowledge of researching genealogy in the Early Modern period may be able to provide you with different avenues to research.

Good luck.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
I note that the published genealogy you reference states that William PERYE was of Water in Membury. Oldest surviving registers for Membury date back to only 1637 with Bishop's transcripts going back to 1620. Parish registers in general only began in 1538 so prior to that time you will need to consult Manorial Rolls, Chancery documents and the like. I would suggest you start with the National Archives http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ - enter PERYE in the search engine and then refine the results by date. You may also find this useful: Membury, Devon

Historical Description
Membury, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the river Yarty, and near the boundary with Dorsetshire, 3 ½ miles N by W of Axminster station on the L. & S.W.R., with a post office under Axminster; money order and telegraph office, Axminster. Acreage of the civil parish, 4394; population, 645; of the ecclesiastical, 3759. The manor belonged to the Courtenays, passed to the Drakes, and now belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Yarty, now a farmhouse, was the seat of the Yarty family ; Waterhouse, anciently called Waters, was the seat of the De la Water family. Membury Castle is a well-preserved ancient British camp of about 2 acres on a hill. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarages of Axminster and Kilmington, in the diocese of Exeter; joint value, £600 with residence. The church is partly Early English, partly Decorated, has been restored, comprises nave, transept, and chancel, and contains a fine monument to Sir S. Calmady.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline sdbadger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, DOB. I've checked out Membury without much luck so far. Appreciate your interest.

Thanks again, Ruskie!

Cheers!