Author Topic: Neil McGill  (Read 850 times)

Offline 30030318

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neil McGill
« on: Sunday 25 June 17 06:38 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about my Great Great Great Grandparents Neil and Mary McGill [Walker] of Ballymena. All I know is that they had a son Robert born 1810-1814 and he married Esther Trainor in Belfast in 1841 before emigrating to Australia, arriving in January 1842. Any information about other children born to the couple would be very helpful.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Neil McGill
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
Some additional info gleaned from the 1842 Index to Bounty Immigrants card:

Neal and Mary were noted as both dead by that time.

Robert's religion was noted as RC.

Some early Catholic records do exist, albeit for Kirkinriola (Ballymena parish area), start dates are around the 1840s and are for marriages and births. For reference see http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx and in particular http://registers.nli.ie/  ? It may be worth also checking surrounding parishes.

An 1845 edition of the Belfast Northern Whig newspaper, has mention of a 'Neal Magill' who lived between Ballymena and Broughshane, so always worth considering the 'Magill' spelling too, albeit given Robert's father was noted as being dead by 1842, it is unlikely this is same Neal/Neil.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline 30030318

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Neil McGill
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply scotsmum. I have noted the different spellings even when researching Robert and Esther's descendants but the Neal Magill you mention may well be another child. I will follow this up.