Author Topic: MURDOCK family of ORFORD 1700s  (Read 890 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MURDOCK family of ORFORD 1700s
« on: Sunday 25 June 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Sarah Murdock married John Brady by license in Orford in 1756.

Their marriage license dated 6 November 1756 states that he was a widower of Chillesford and she was a singlewoman of Orford. They were to be married at Orford. (Suffolk Record Office FAA/23/15/246.)

[His first marrriage also by license was at Dallinghoo to Anne Syred. He was a farmer and singleman of Iken and she was of Orford.]

The marriage license gives the ages of John Brady and Sarah Murdock as thirty so they were both born about c1725-1726.

John Brady moved around and I have previously posted about him here so I am asking if anyone might be able to help my crack my Murdock family.

Does anyone please have access to the early Orford registers for a baptism? Or any other Murdock family members in the records?

I know they had the following children baptised at Orford:

John Brady in 1757
Sarah Brady in 1761
Mary Brady in 1762
Thomas Brady in 1764

An infant Thomas Brady buried in Orford in 1759 is also probably their son.

I therefore assume that either John Brady or Sarah Murdock's father was called Thomas. There is a Thomas Brady who was a church warden and overseer in Iken in TNA listed records from 1739 to 1756 who might be John's father.

If so however it doesn't shed any light on a possible father's name for Sarah Murdock's father.

John Brady and Sarah Murdock's only other child not named Thomas or after their parents was Mary so perhaps one of their mothers had this name.

There are two settlement certificates that relate to them:

16 October 1759 - Iken, Suffolk (Suffolk Record Office FC161/G/13/23)
John Brady, labourer, of Orford (assumed to be him though no family and children listed)
Immediately after this in the order references is another undated document 'Settlement by Thomas Carthew that John Brady belongs to Iken'. This presumably connects to FC161/G/13/23.

19 September 1761 - Orford, Suffolk (Suffolk Record Office Reference FC168/G/4/1/48)
Settlement Certificate at Orford. John Brady, Sarah his wife and John and Sarah their children, Iken.

I assume the first certificate is him although no family is listed. I don;t know much about settlement certificates. If I ordered the two documents from the Suffolk record Office, would they give me any more information that that transcribed for the search database?

The burials at Orford do not give much information so I assume that John Brady's burial is either John Broday buried Orford 3 July 1781 or John Brady buried Orford 1 January 1804.

Sarah Murdock/Brady is presumably either the Sarah Brady buried Orford 31 October 1781 or Sarah Brady buried Orford 14 December 1797 aged 71 years [born c1726].

Given the age of Sarah Murdock on her marriage license the 1797 burial seems highly probable.(There is another Sarah Brady buried 27 Jan 1790 but she was aged 3.)

If anyone can please add anything to the above to assist me with this line I really would be most grateful.

Thank you,
Jon

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MURDOCK family of ORFORD 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Dont know if you have seen these previously but the name Murdock does occasionally gets corrupted to Muddock & there are these MUDDOCK burials listed on SBI at Orford, St Barts.

John, illegitimate son of Sarah buried 23 Apr 1726
Thomas buried 21 Feb 1766
Thomas buried 25 May 1771
Rose buried 6 May 1789 age 93

K

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's two other Murdock marriages at Orford in 1754
Thomas 1754 Eliz Stannard (Boyds inxdex)
Frances 26.11.1754 to John Worn

Ciderdrinker

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 June 17 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much or all these look ups.

I had none of the information and did not know about Muddock being a variant.

This gives me more to think and dig into, so thank you so much.

Jon