Author Topic: tracking down relatives of pilot F/O William Henry Clague  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
tracking down relatives of pilot F/O William Henry Clague
« on: Sunday 25 June 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
For my research I am trying to tracking down the relatives of F/O William Henry Clague(156067)
who was the pilot of a 218 Sqdn Stirling bomber which was shotdown over Budel Dorpplein in the Netherlands on the 31st August 1943. F/O William Clague did not surivived the crash as his other four crewmates. They are buried at Eindhoven General Cemetery. The others survived but became a POW. F/O William Henry Clague was 26 when he died and was the son of William Henry and Eleanor Clague ,of Kirk Michael, Isle of Man.  I am already in touch with the relatives of Charlie Holden(who was his midupper gunner). We are eager to get in touch with the relatives of William Clague. Any help to tracking these relatives down is more than appreciated!!
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: tracking down relatives of pilot F/O William Henry Clague
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is an Isle of Man Family History Society online and they also have a Facebook page.  Perhaps you could post the details on there.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much and I will contact the society. Of course I will keep you informed about the outcome of my research.
Regards,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
I don't think you will find any direct descendants in the way of siblings.

William's parents were married 19th October 1916 and William was born 3rd January 1917. Unfortunately William's father was then killed in action in France on 9th December 1917.

There may be half siblings if his mother remarried. However, the fact that his mother is given as Eleanor Clague on the report of his death suggests that she didn't remarry.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 July 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
I have contacted the society at island MAN and they are very helpfull. Found some one at Kirk Michael but sadly not related. We will keep on the search.  Groom thank you so much for the info and I doubt it that we find siblings but you never know.
Cheers and MANY THANKS again for all you help in this matter,
Adrian

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 July 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this will be any help, but if it is the correct family, this is from William Henry's FATHER's WW1 records, so may help track relatives:

WIDOW:  Eleanor Clague address Kirk Michael Village IOM
CHILD: William Henry Clague born Jan 3rd 1917
PARENTS: Thomas Clague and Elizabeth Clague
FULL BLOODED BROTHERS (ages in 1919) :  Thomas Clague 35
                                                                  John Clague 34
FULL BLOODED SISTERS:                             Christian 37
                                                                  Margaret 30

So there could be nieces or nephews.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk