Author Topic: Pte Harry Parker, Cheshire Regiment & Labour Corps  (Read 759 times)

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Pte Harry Parker, Cheshire Regiment & Labour Corps
« on: Sunday 25 June 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find out which Battalion of the Cheshires and Labour Corps Harry Parker served, his service numbers were  37213 for Cheshires and 33783 for the Labour Corps

Any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pte Harry Parker, Cheshire Regiment & Labour Corps
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
Difficult to prove this without his record but the medal roll for Labour Corps men in which he appears has a significant block of men from the Cheshires with very similar Labour Corps and Cheshire numbers.  They were all 18th (Labour) Battalion which in April/May 1917 was converted into 56 Company Labour Corps.  Checking this against the service records of men with similar Cheshire numbers that do survive, I find quite a body of them who were in the 18th (Labour) Battalion Cheshires and whose service papers are all stamped with the redesignation to 56 Company Labour Corps.  Dates of entry are all early 1916 and his medal card has no overseas service prior to 1916.  Both 18 and 19 Battalions were formed at Oldham which may or may not correlate with your man, not important if it doesn't.

So in the absence of anything to the contrary, I suggest he was 18 Bn then 56 Coy.

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
MaxD

Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate it

Kind regards

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Value added - War diary for 18 Cheshire:http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/319845e303604edf8b9aeb0cf2bba1d9

Labour Corps not so well documented http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/363ce894ec9345c193c96ea5bf49ae7f seems to be all there is.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 June 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
maxD

Many thanks once again

I've downloaded the NA information for the Labour Corps, there's hundreds of pages, should keep me occupied for a while  :D  I found one poor fellow who had died of asphyxiation, caused by the excessive drinking of rum  :o

Kind regards

Simon