Author Topic: Sydney Harry Barton – 7th (Queens Own) Hussars  (Read 1416 times)

Offline simonj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sydney Harry Barton – 7th (Queens Own) Hussars
« on: Sunday 25 June 17 18:01 BST (UK) »
I have been trying for many years to confirm my grandfather’s military service. He apparently served with the 7th Hussars from around 1911-1918 in India, yet I can find no confirmation that he actually did. Can any experts out there give any suggestions as to where I go now? He was born in Peckham, London in 1891.
What I have –
Enlistment into 5th btn London Fusilliers 1907 (lied about age – attested for 6 years)

1911 Census – Hounslow Barracks – Private 7th Hussars (presumably he changed regiments)

Several photographs of him in uniform obviously in India, 2 stripe corporal – Hussars uniform

A medal carrying the regimental logo and the letters RATA for the highest break at billiards in March 1913!

1918 electoral roll at parents address but ‘(a) N/M’ absent Naval/Military

I contacted the regimental museum many years back but they couldn’t find any record. It seems that the regiment saw little action during WW1 – only Basra in 1917, would he have been entitled to any service medals for this?

Please, any ideas?
Johnes (Wales & Surrey)
Barton (Lancs & Surrey)
Hayllar (Bucks & Herts)
Clarke (Herts)
Ellis (Suffolk)
Satchell (Somerset & Surrey)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney Harry Barton – 7th (Queens Own) Hussars
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 17 21:53 BST (UK) »

Service in Mesopotamia would qualify him at least for the British War Medal but, as I imagine you have seen (or not!) no medal record turns up for him let alone a service record.

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that he didn't go to Mesopotamia with the regiment but stayed in some capacity in India.  That would mean no medal record and his service record lost among the 70% of records burnt in WW2, hence no trace.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline simonj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. There is no medal card that I can find but I hadn't considered that perhaps he did remain in India - no action - no medal.

Given that he was a 'regular' rather than called up for service do you know if his service record would have been retained by the regiment rather than be part of the 'burnt' records?
Johnes (Wales & Surrey)
Barton (Lancs & Surrey)
Hayllar (Bucks & Herts)
Clarke (Herts)
Ellis (Suffolk)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 17 16:52 BST (UK) »
Frankly I doubt it.  Although the Guards regiments kept their own records all others, as far as my experience tells me, remained centrally kept.  However, if you can spare £25 a query to the QOH museum might find something although you said you'd tried that route already.  And there was no distinction in record holding between regular soldiers or later conscripts so I fear the burnt docs are the most likely fate.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline simonj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. It looks like that's as far as I can take it.
Johnes (Wales & Surrey)
Barton (Lancs & Surrey)
Hayllar (Bucks & Herts)
Clarke (Herts)
Ellis (Suffolk)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
but I hadn't considered that perhaps he did remain in India - no action - no medal.

Service in India only would mean eligiblity for BWM only.
See
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/the-british-campaign-medals-for-the-great-war/

It would show on the MIC like this one for Phonso Abbot  of that unit
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1262/30850_A000001-00838?pid=4588&backurl=http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DgAt54%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26db%3DMedalRolls%26gss%3Dangs-d%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26MS_AdvCB%3D1%26_F00061C3%3Dqueen*%2520%2520hussars*%26_F00061C3_x%3D1%26MSAV%3D2%26MSV%3D0%26uidh%3Da63%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D1%26h%3D4588%26recoff%3D%26ml_rpos%3D2&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=gAt54&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

and the Roll looks like this (with ' Victory and/or..' along the top struck out)
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/5119/41629_625537_9360-00268?pid=1608810&backurl=http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DgAt65%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26db%3DIWOServiceMedalAwardRolls%26gss%3Dangs-d%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26msT%3D1%26MS_AdvCB%3D1%26_F8007A65%3D40003%26_F8007A65_x%3D1%26MSAV%3D2%26MSV%3D0%26uidh%3Da63%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D0%26h%3D1608810%26recoff%3D88%252089%26ml_rpos%3D1&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=gAt65&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

He's not in the MICs or the Medal Rolls for the stated unit so, unless he served with another unit not known to you (14 possibles in MICs) then he didn't leave UK shores during the war.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 07:32 BST (UK) »
Gwil is absolutely right, war service overseas would qualify him for the British War Medal, my apologies for my inadequate earlier reply. Photos of India then presumably pre war, is home in 1911 as you found but is serving in 1918.  Perhaps at home or in a different regiment as Gwil proposes.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline simonj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
I think that you are right, he probably spent the war years at home. Thanks to both for your help.
Johnes (Wales & Surrey)
Barton (Lancs & Surrey)
Hayllar (Bucks & Herts)
Clarke (Herts)
Ellis (Suffolk)