Author Topic: Help with Brick Wall- Dougherty of Newtownards  (Read 1454 times)

Offline ermo0724

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Brick Wall- Dougherty of Newtownards
« on: Sunday 25 June 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to break down this wall for a while. I am not very familiar with Irish research, which may be why I am struggling. I hope someone could help!

My Great Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Dougherty who was born around 1860 in Ireland. According to her death certificate, she died in 1955 in Chicago, she was the daughter of Hugh Daugherty and Celina Clint (or Clinton). I have not been able to find any birth record for Elizabeth, so I can't confirm date or location.

However, I have found birth records for Margaret, Selina and Ellen Dougherty who are all daughters of Hugh Dougherty and Selina Clint born between 1855 and 1871 in Newtownards, County Down, Northern Ireland. I have found marriage records for Margaret, who married Denis McCormick in 1882, and Ellen, who married Patrick Crossen in 1897. I have found Hugh's death record, he died in 1898 in Newtownards aged around 76, making his birth year around 1822. I have found a possible Griffin's Valuation for a Hugh Dougherty from 1862 for Shankill, Antrim, Ireland. I am not familiar with Irish research and not even sure how to use this document or if this is even him.

Any help on information on Elizabeth, her father Hugh, or the rest of her family would be awesome. Elizabeth immigrated to the United States before 1883. A big thank you in advance!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Brick Wall- Dougherty of Newtownards
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
Registration of births started in 1864 so there won't be a birth certificate for Elizabethbeth if she was born before that date.

Best to work back step by step. So, starting with Hugh's death certificate- occupation 'process server'
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05843/4655495.pdf

Selina's birth certificate (1866) lists father Hugh as labourer-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03512/2291859.pdf

So, doesn't look like the record from Griffith's is the same Hugh Dougherty (remember that Griffith's shows people who owned or leased lands so unlike a census does not include every household).

You haven't mentioned what religion the family would have been so I can't yet suggest where to search for church records  but if they were Catholic then parish registers for the mid-1800s might be online or available elsewhere. http://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 July 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline ptt1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
 On her death cert birth as 10 jun 1868 . After checking on the Irish ancestry  i think she was registered on 12 Jul 1868 , coleraine to Robert dougherty and elizabeth campbell.
 they married 23 oct 1862 coleraine .  Hope this helps i am researching my mccormick ancesty and trawlling through found link to denis , no relation as they are all roman catholic .

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 09:15 BST (UK) »

On her death cert birth as 10 jun 1868 . After checking on the Irish ancestry  i think she was registered on 12 Jul 1868 , coleraine to Robert dougherty and elizabeth campbell.

Born 22nd June 1868 at Springvale. Registered 6th July - Articlave R.D.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03433/2259993.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 09:54 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit puzzled here. OP in 2017 said "Elizabeth Dougherty who was born around 1860 in Ireland. According to her death certificate, she died in 1955 in Chicago, she was the daughter of Hugh Daugherty and Celina Clint (or Clinton)" with "birth records for Margaret, Selina and Ellen Dougherty who are all daughters of Hugh Dougherty and Selina Clint born between 1855 and 1871 in Newtownards, County Down, Northern Ireland. I have found marriage records for Margaret, who married Denis McCormick in 1882, and Ellen, who married Patrick Crossen in 1897. I have found Hugh's death record, he died in 1898 in Newtownards aged around 76, making his birth year around 1822."

Then yesterday-
 they married 23 oct 1862 coleraine .  Hope this helps i am researching my mccormick ancesty and trawlling through found link to denis , no relation as they are all roman catholic .

Coleraine is the registration district and Articlave the sub-district with the actual place being Springvale (all in Co. Londonderry). Articlave to Newtownards is about 70 miles so not at all near each other. The Articlave family would seem to be an entirely different one to the Newtownards one the OP was looking for so I'm struggling to find a connection to yesterday's post.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 10:28 BST (UK) »
This from the PRONI wesite Will Calendars, unfortunately Hugh only mentioned one person to whom he left all that he had, a grandson Hugh McCormick:

Probate of the Will of Hugh Dougherty late of Frederick street Newtownards County Down Summons Server who died 14 February 1898 at the Union Workhouse Newtownards granted at Belfast to the Reverend Peter M'Kenua of Bangor County Down P.P.

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Offline sam.b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 20:49 BST (UK) »
Surname(s)   Graveyard   Civil Parish   Graveyard Location   County
CLINT, DOUGHERTY   Ardkeen   Ardkeen   Ardkeen   Down
Gravestone Inscription   _____ Clint who departed this life in the year of Our Lord 1785 And likewise Hana DOUGHERTY who departed this life in the year of Our Lord 1805 aged 48 years.