Author Topic: Joseph Stone in Rotherhithe?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joseph Stone in Rotherhithe?
« on: Monday 26 June 17 03:46 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help me with Joseph STONE. He was the father of Hannah Mary Ann STONE b. 1839 Rotherhithe. I have also found 2 other children: Louisa Ann and Alfred Thomas.

From Hannah's baptism I know he was married to Hannah Hindley SMITH and on their marriage record his father is listed as Benjamin STONE.

On Hannah's baptism he is also listed as a Mariner and this is where my problem starts. I can't find him in any census' so I'm assuming he was on a ship or something. His wife is with her parents and daughter Hannah in the '41 census. By 1851 I can't find either Joseph or Hannah but their daughter Hannah is age 11 with her grandparents.

I'm trying to find his birth but as I don't even know where he was born its hard to narrow down. He was married in 1838 in Stepney so it's possible he was from that area but I was hoping to find a census be sure.

I would appreciate any help people can give me with records or an idea of where to look next. Thank you. 
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Stone in Rotherhithe?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 17 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi I believe in 1851 census that Hannah Stone aged 31 Married occ Dress Maker b Rotherhithe is with an Edward Sankins & family in St George in the East
Census Ref HO107/1548/598/8

In 1861 census Hannah is 41 Married occ Laundress b Rotherhithe in Tynemouth, Northumberland
Census Ref RG09/3841/27/47
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 17 04:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks. That seems like it could be her. I know her other daughter had died by then but it makes me wonder where her son was. I might try and find his other grandparents in the census and see if he is with them.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 17 04:13 BST (UK) »
Oh and I should have said I know that in the 1881 census she is living with her daughter in Rotherhithe and she died in 1890.

Northumberland is an odd place for her to be.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 17 04:26 BST (UK) »
 ;D Re 1861 census, not if you are expecting the arrival of your husband returning from a voyage?
Keyboard86

EDIT There is on FindMyPast a Britain, Merchant Seaman 1835-1857 record of a Joseph Stone b c 1819 London.
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have been looking at those records but its just so hard to know if its the right Joseph Stone.