Author Topic: Need help with family letter  (Read 4783 times)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help with family letter
« on: Monday 26 June 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
I have a family letter in which I have been able to transcribe, however there remains a few sections/words that are beyond me, or require a second opinion.
This letter is from Stephen Coulson in Bridlington, Yorkshire, to his daughter Mary Ann Coulson Pinder (1806-1886) in Ontario, Canada. the date is April 20th, 1853 . (May Ann Coulson married  Stephen Pinder (1803-1882)

There are names and places mentioned that either I cannot make out, or am not 100% sure.  In particular, there is a mention of a daughter of a William Pinder .  Now Stephen Pinder had a brother, William Pinder (1806-1886), married to an Elizabeth Broadrick, and had a daughter, Ellen.  But other than the fact that she was born in 1838, I have no other information.
Or... Stephen Pinder's other brother, Jon (1802-1842). He had a son, William (1835) but I have no information on him. May have died in infancy.
 This William Pinder and his daughter are just one of  many hints  that have been elusive to track down . 
Anyways, here is my transcription and a link to the original.

"Bridlington, April 20th 1853

Dear Mary Ann,
I hope those few lines will find you and all the family well has it leaves us all here. Mother and I was at Foston when your letter came to hand and they was all very well at Foston and Mary came back with us and has been at Charlston a forthnight and Mr & Mrs
Barrugh and ??? are all very well and she has been at Flambo(rough) and Marthon ? a forthnight also and they was all very well there. And mother has been at Charlestone Three week. Mrs Barugh? has been at Thwing and ????????? are all very well. Mary W???son has been very ill and was not expected to get better but she is much recovered. ?? George Gibson of ??? his dead and ??? Thomas Huntley of Thwing his dead. ??? Bur???? has lost her son Martin in a feaver she has come to live in South ???? Lane. Mrs ? Gibson has come to Bridlington to live the farm of Mr. John Majors?  his ???. You would see in the newspaper I sent you of his death. William Pinder daughter called at our house on Sunday night on her way from Wold Newton? and Father and Mother and all the family was all very well and sent there best respects to all the family. ?? ?eeton has left ??? Pinder and has joined? her sister at a shop and Fells Park? Mrs Eliot of Scarbro ? his dead Mrs Hutchison sister. We has Mrs Carter a few days since and she failed?? very fast. Your sister A??ne?s was very glad to here of you walking out with Green baile's? or she thinks it his a good sign and that more of them will be coming. George Plot ? grows a very fine boy. Hannah has only very poor health they all send there best respect to all."

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuVQzWD1v78iObhda

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with family letter
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
Mr and Mrs Barugh and Misses (with a long s that looks like an f) - so presumably Mrs and Mrs Barugh and daughters.

Flambro and Marton (there is a Marton Road in Bridlington). Flambro = Flamborough

Mrs Barugh has been at Thwing and her Burdass's are all very well.  :-\

Mary Atkinson has been very ill.

George Gibson of Octon (a place near Thwing)

old Thomas Huntley of Thwing his dead.

Yes, Wold Newton (is a place near Thwing)

M.. (line through the word which could be Miss Mrs or Mary or something else) Burdass has lost her son Martin in a feaver she has come to live in South Back lane.

Mrs T Gibson  has come to Bridlington to live the Farm of Mr John Mazone (could be Majors) his ?

Miss Seeton has left Miss Pinder and has joined her sister at a shop and sells pork

We has Mrs Carter a few days since and she failes very fast.

Scarbro = Scarborough

We had Mrs Carter a few days since

your sister Agnes

George Robt = George Robert grows a very fine boy

(sorry this is a bit of a mess - I was too-ing and fro-ing to try to fill in some of the gaps - I hope it makes sense)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
It would be interesting to try to locate these people in the 1851 census. I had a quick look and a couple of families stood out though I don't know if these are the ones mentioned in the letter -:

A Richard Barugh in Thwing - a farmer with many workers in residence including a John Pinder, who may fit in with your family.

There is also a Burdass family in Thwing - another farmer employing many people.

I also found a Thomas Huntley and a Mary Atkinson living in Thwing. This Thomas was 80 years old in 1851, Mary is 66 - they live few doors from each other.

Although I think the writing looks like John Mazon or Mazone, that is not a name found in the area. There is a John Mason and family living in North Back Lane. This John is an ag lab rather than a farmer (ie he doesn't have a farm) so I don't know if it is the same person that Mrs Gibson went to live with.

There is a South Back Lane in Bridlington, which confirms that the address is the correct place where Mrs Burdass went to live after her son Martin died. I found Martin L Burdass aged 7 in the 1851 census living with his mother Jane Burdass a 47 year old widow. They were living in Albion Place, Burlington Road, Bridlington.

Obviously, apart from Martin and Jane Burdass, I have no idea if these are the same people who are mentioned in your letter, but I thought you may find it interesting. :)

Added:

Deaths Mar 1853   
Burdass  Martin Lowish   
Bridlington 
9d 188

Deaths Sep 1852   
Huntley  Thomas     
Bridlington 
9d 223

Deaths Mar 1853 
Gibson  George     
Bridlington 
9d 196 

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:34 BST (UK) »

Mrs T Gibson  has come to Bridlington to live the Farm of Mr John Mazone (could be Majors) his ?

I think the last phrase is "his sold"  meaning Mr Gibson's farm has been sold.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Agree alpinecottage... there is a consistent 'his' for 'is' & lack of punctuation throughout.

Mrs Barugh has been at Thwing and her Burdass's are all very well.  :-\
I think it is 'Mr Burdass's are all very well' ie Mr Burdass' family are all well.

Good finds on the 1851, Ruskie;

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
I agree with 'sold' alpine. I thought I could see 'old' but it didn't make sense. :)

Also agree josey, that it is Mr Burdass.  :)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Thank so much everyone.  The letter is making much more sense.
Ruskie, thanks for the additional information. This John Pinder you mention in the 1851 census, seems to be a farm hand as you suggest. It indicates that he is 16 years of age... I cannot come across a fit with anyone in my family tree, unless there is another John Pindar(er) that's uncounted for.  I don't rule out that possibility.
Now William Pinder's daughter is intriguing. It confirms that there is a family/social interaction between more than one member of the Pinder family (Someone other than Stephen Pinder)
There is a William Pinder (1806-1876) Married to Elizabeth Broadrick (1809-1879). William is the brother to Stephen Pinder (1803-1882), my great-great-great Grandfather..
William had a daughter, Ellen (B1838 - ?  ), and according to the 1851 census, he resided in Wold Newton. Looks like a good fit. He still shows up in the 1861 census in Wold Newton, but Ellen does not. She would be 23 by then. Perhaps married? . By 1871 they (without Ellen) are in the Ontario, Canada census (District of Kent, sub disctrict of Harwich).  Many Pinders from this area ended up in canda. Starting to wonder if there are any that still remain in Kilham and surrounding areas. 
This has been a fascinating trip so far.. it's to the point where I am considering a vacation there to set eyes on where it all began.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find the news clipping of the death of William Pinder mentioned in the letter.  So far, no luck, but I did run into something that might be of interest.

In the 1861 census, Stephen Coulson has his widowed daughter Agnes Nicholson living with him, which would be the Agnes mentioned in the letter:

From the newspaper, The Bridlington Express 23 Nov 1861
Marriages
Bridlington--November 16, at the Parish Church,
by the Rev. H.F. Barnes, M.A., Mr. Coulson
Hutchinson, farmer, Flamborough, to Mrs. Agnes
Nicholson, of Bridlington.

Your letter mentioned a deceased Hutchinson.

I'll keep looking for the Pinder article; hopefully it will show up!

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Ah yes, Agnes Nicholson.  She married Robert Nicholson and had two children by him. Hannah in 1846 and George Robert Nicholson (B1852). She remarried a Coulson Hutchison and had a daughter with him (Mary Jane Hutchison in 1863).  Not sure what happened to Coulson Hutchison. He doesn't show up in any of the census records I have for Agnes.

Hannah writes about her brother and family in this 1860 letter.
 Below is a rough transcript.. plus links to the original letters. there are sections i cannot quite make out but on the whole, Hannah's writing is pretty good. (I have grown fond of Hannah through these letters. She is a good soul ).  She's in the 1871 census (aged 25), but not in that of the 1881 . Always wondered what happened to her.

"Letter from Hannah Nicholson to Mary Ann Coulson
           Bridlington, England       Toronto Upper Canada

Transcription 

Bridlington, Oct 11th, 1860

My dear aunt Mary Ann,

We wrote to you about three months since and as ever have not received a letter from you since. We thought it had perhaps not been directed rightly or were going to write to cousin Adelaide but we did not know wheather she lived at the same place that she did live at or not so when you write again we shall be very glad if you will send us her direction and there I will write to her. Grandfather and Grandmother have both failed but at the present they are both as well as they have been for some time. Uncle aunt mother and George Robert are very well. They were at Foston?? a week was on Sunday? they  are all very well at Foston?? but Cousin William  and he looks very poorly they all send thier respect to you. Aunt Harriet is very well you should know that she has gone to be housekeeper for Mr. Champion ?? of Quay she likes very well. Mr. Champion(??) is going away in a week to stay until after Christman and Aunt Hariet is coming to stay with us. Mr. & Mrs Barugh?? Mr & Mrs J Burdass?, Mr & Mrs S Bardass are all very well. Aunt Burdass is not very well, Aunt Clifford ? has been this summer but is going away in about three weeks she is pretty well. Mrs Nicholson her daughter has been for a

Verso

week and is very well. She has three sons and one daughter she had two of them with her. The weather has been so very dull this summer that there has not been so many visitors at the Quay as usual. Every body is very busy about the harvest the last week has been fine and there has been a little wheat ??? if it continues so I think the harvest will be very well got ??? When you write again will you tell us  where all my cousins are and what they are doing and how Mary gets on with her store and how many children cousin Adelaine has and how many cousin M???? has. You sent us a new York ledger and a newspaper.  I took possession of the new York ledger. I liked it so much. I am sure I shall be very glad if you will send me another sometime.  Eliza Dr???? is still at Charlston(??) and you would not know Mr. Barugh's house they have built almost another house to it. They have a governess from Leeds. Grandmother was at Marton on Saturday Mr & Mrs Simpson are both well. Mr Hutchison of Flambro is well. Grandmother sent you her  ???? and is afraid you have not got it. Grandmother often talks about Bennison and says she should like to see him and should think John and Matilda have grown very much. We were all very glad to hear from Mary and shall all be very

Next page

glad to see her as any of her brothers or sisters when ever they can make it convenient to come to see us in England. Will you tell all my cousins that  I think they have forgotten they have a cousin Hannah in England and that I shall be very glad if they will write to me before long.

Grandfather Grandmother Mother Aunt & uncle & aunt Harriet join(?) with George Robert and myself in sending our very best love to all. Hoping you all are quite well and to hear from you soon. I remain dear aunt, your affectionate niece, H. Nicholson.

P.S. George Robert has grown a very tall boy and goes to mr. Graha???'s school. He sends his love again. Allow me to remain your affectionate Hannah"

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuG6Oty6rbnXkWyLn

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuG-HjulK9gnQ1IeJ

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuHABNsdgNH4LSqpB