Author Topic: Need help with family letter  (Read 4785 times)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with family letter
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 02 July 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
Didn't realize the text file was shared as well. Yes, you can edit that file, or post it here. Either way is fine with me

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 02 July 17 23:58 BST (UK) »
My attempt, close to yours with some minor variations ( I read your Chisholm as Champion? on page 2)

Page 1
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AifC60WL0cSMuWG2c9S0FeiYDpCZ

I think I must write this letter to your as you wish it though I don't know you. However I hope on receiving this you will get your Carte de Viste taken. If you have not get some so 1 and ***** me for I intend getting an album and of course want as many cards to put in as I can get. and do please ask Aunt and Uncle and your brothers and sisters to send one theirs. I enclose my own for Aunt and

Page 2:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuHwi1WysUCJ9WaVn

tell her that it is as good a likeness as can be.  And now that I have to begin to tell you the news I don't know what to tell you that will be interesting. There have been no change in the family since we wrote. Aunt Harriet is at London with Mrs Champion and was quite well when last we heard from her. She desires when ever we write to America to give our best love to Aunt and all the rest of the family.  Aunt Dixon is not very well I think at present. She also desires her love to all, and Aunt Selina is quite well but very busy as she keeps no servants and has a great deal of work.  Mother is quite well. Mrs Hutchinson is well, and

Page 3:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuHq1A5WEB43OZgPI

baby is only pretty well, tell Aunt she is a beautiful child and I suppose when old enough will be spoiled by her father who idolizes her. She is just entered eight months old. Grandmother has quite recovered from her severe illness. She went to Flambro' in March and was there nearly four months then she stayed a week at Aunt's who also came back to Bridlington then went to Thwing and stayed three months and now has been home a week.  When she is at home I stay with her as it is not wisdom to leave her alone there. In our afternoon we both often go down street to Aunts.  Then when Grandmother is out I stay a week or two at Aunts, help her

Page 4:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuHmHsgJ5P7l6heQn

and then go a week or two to Flambro, and help Mother so that at present my mode of life is an unsettled one. The harvest here is now all in and a plentiful one it has been, but yet the farmers are grumbling because the prices are so low, wheat is only a shilling a stone.  This season has been a very short one for the lodging house keepers at the Quay and other watering places though Scarborough Filey and the Quay house have been crowded to excess for a short time. Now I feel I must conclude with a promise that you should hear oftener from England than you have been accustomed to.  I correspond with a great many ladies, but America by me shall not be forgotten. America the word almost acts like magic, for now the word is associated with awful battles.  Tell me when you write about

----
How unfortunate that the last page is missing!!

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 18:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, between missing pages and envelopes, I can only imagine what secrets were lost!

Once again, thanks so much bbart.  Lot of works I could not have imagine in the way it was written.

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
1865 Ltter.
No envelope and is probably missing page(s)

Nov. 22nd, 1865
Letter from Hannah Nicholson Bridlington, England       
to: "Dear Aunt"     

Transcription 

England Yorkshire
High Green
Bridlington Nov. 22nd /65

Dear Aunt,

It is a long time since we have heard from you for many weeks after I wrote I expected one from Matilda but none has come from any of you. I feel so disappointed it would be so nice to have letters regularly and indeed I will do my part gladly. As you will  most wish to hear of grandmother(?) I must tell you of her first, she went to Flambo last Christmas and stayed nine months, about two of which she was very ill that I think I told you in my last, she came here one morning at the beginning of harvest stayed perhaps hours in the town and (?) started off to Thwing she ???  two months there, they came back and stayed a week at Aunt ????? the last three weeks we have been

page 2

at High Green but very busy we have been I can assure you ! For during the eleven months the house has been shut up the furniture ?? we had got a little damp therefore. We have had good fires and all well  ???  to ?????? is ??????ness day I go to Flambro in the ???? and ????? other goes on Friday all being well, I think I could ???? settle to ????? and  ????? in this house alone with grandmother. It is in such a dull situation, at least in winter is you know, and in those dark stormy(?) nights, it feels so lonely.  Last week aunt Dixon came over for three or four days. She asked for your address, which I gave her, therefore you may expect a  letter from then(?) sometime ??? long. Aunt Harriet is still in London. I've heard from her pretty often she is better than she has been. At this ??????? Grandmother

Page 3

is sitting tidying???? a drawer on the side of the table at which I am writing, she opened out(?) a piece of paper I was looking and saw directly it was ??? ????? letter. I asked to read it and found it was written in /63 part by you and part by Bennison, he expressed a wish that I will write to him, I did so but the letter had the misfortune to be lost. Will you ask him if he will write to me  which >>> being will I promise to answer. Mother & Mr. Hutchison are pretty well. baby has grown much a great girl and can say almost anything quite clearly now. George Robert goes to school ???, he comes(?) from Flambro corry??  morning and goes back in the evening. He ides the pony they have for the gig(?) and with constant practice he is getting to be  a goo rider. Aunt and Uncle Nicholson are well. They live in the shop in High

Page 4

Did I tell you before that we have got a Headstone for Grandfather. It is a good pl???? stone. There is his name, age, date and this verse from Revelations. "Be thon faithful unto death and I will give thee a crown of life". When they are going to order it I asked to choose the verse and thought that ?? very beautiful one. Now I must bring my letter to a conclusion by telling you what a beautiful harvest we have had. There were only two days that there was rain at all and there only part of the day. The crops are ???? therefore a hard winter is anticipate. I hope it will prove better than is thought, just how there is great ???? by the cattle. Plague ??? is carrying off great numbers. It made its appearance here a fortnight ago, Mr. Bardass  ?????? ???? has cured those that were suffering here, and in consequence has been telegraphed  ??? to Beverley and is making ??? large  ????

Page 1:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuSCB7MEiNPAbHTVo

Page 2:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuSLUxAMStFy-L-RL

Page 3:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuSN-RlzeJAwBoXPl

Page 4:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuSF1DLc1rykdf2DN

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 21 July 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Bump ?

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 23 July 17 06:11 BST (UK) »
Where you have "Christmas" in your opening page, I believe it should be Martinmas, as it matches the same word in page 2.  Martinmas is Nov 11, so it took her a while to get this letter written!

My intention was to capitalize any changes or guesses to your question marks, but I know I missed some.  Still some words/names are missing.

Dear Aunt,

It is a long time since we have heard from you for many weeks after I wrote I expected one from Matilda but none has come from any of you. I feel so disappointed it would be so nice to have letters regularly and indeed I will do my part gladly. As you will  most wish to hear of grandmother I must tell you of her first, she went to Flambo last MARTINMAS and stayed nine months, about two of which she was very ill that I think I told you in my last, she came here one morning at the beginning of harvest stayed perhaps hours in the town and THEN started off to Thwing she DEMANDED(??) two months there, THEN came back and stayed a week at Aunt SELINA'S the last three weeks we have been

page 2

at High Green but very busy we have been I can assure you ! For during the eleven months the house has been shut up the furniture ETC  had got a little damp therefore. We have had good fires and all well SUCH TOMORROW is MARTINMAS day I go to Flambro in the ???? and GRANDMOTHER goes on Friday all being well, I think I could NOT settle to PASSING ANOTHER WINTER in this house alone with grandmother. It is in such a dull situation, at least in winter as you know, and in those dark stormy nights, it feels so lonely.  Last week aunt Dixon came over for three or four days. She asked for your address, which I gave her, therefore you may expect a  letter from them sometime ere long. Aunt Harriet is still in London. I've heard from her pretty often she is better than she has been. At this MINUTE Grandmother

Page 3

is sitting tidying a drawer on the opposite side of the table at which I am writing, she opened out a piece of paper I was looking and saw directly it was ??? ????? letter. I asked to read it and found it was written in /63 part by you and part by Bennison, he expressed a wish that I will write to him, I did so but the letter had the misfortune to be lost. Will you ask him if he will write to me  which ALL BEING WELL I promise to answer. Mother & Mr. Hutchison are pretty well. baby has grown much a great girl and can say almost anything quite clearly now. George Robert goes to school YET, he comes FROM Flambro LORRY??  morning and goes back in the evening. He Rides the pony they have for the gig and with constant practice he is getting to be  a gooD rider. Aunt and Uncle Nicholson are well. They live in the shop in High

Page 4

Did I tell you before that we have got a Headstone for Grandfather. It is a good PLACER stone. There is his name, age, date and this verse from Revelations. "Be thon faithful unto death and I will give thee a crown of life". When they are going to order it I asked to choose the verse and thought that SO very beautiful one. Now I must bring my letter to a conclusion by telling you what a beautiful harvest we have had. There were only two days that there was rain at all and there only part of the day. The crops are LIGHT therefore a hard winter is anticipateD. I hope it will prove better than is thought, just NOW there is great DISTRESS by the cattle. Plague ??? is carrying off great numbers. It made its appearance here a fortnight ago, Mr. Bardass A VETERINARY SURGEON has cured those that were suffering here, and in consequence has been telegraphed FOR to Beverley and is making UP large QUANTITIES.

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
The following is not a letter, but what appears to be a receipt .
Can anyone confirm the amounts?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuH5BUEvYFW9_3BrY

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 15:27 BST (UK) »

The following is a transcription of a letter dated 1873.
I believe it is from Bennison Pinder (1844-1912) to his brother John Coulson Pinder (1846-1924)
It's a rather interesting letter: Seems there is some family infighting or tension, judging by the letter.  I cannot quite put a finder on where Bennison, the author of the letter, is at the time he wrote the letter.

Both brother had emigrated to Canada by that time.
In the 1861 Canada Census,  (Luther County, Ontario, Canada), have Bennison living with his sister (Maria Pinder 1838-1919), who was married to John Dennis. He is listed as "Labourer"
In the 1871 Census, he is not listed with his Sister, however, both he and his brother John C Pinder were listed as living with their mother (Mary Ann Pinder)  and father (Stephen Pinder) In Luther, Ontario.
The letter seems to mention William Ridsdale (1830-1914) . William married Bennison and John C Pinder's sister, Adelaide Clough Pinder (1831-1912). It also mentions a Coulson Ridsdale and a "little Henry" both are the sons of Adelaide and William.  The 1871 Canada census puts the Adelaides in Luther County, Ontario Canada, so  perhaps he was staying with them.

In 1876, Bennison was married in Lincoln County, Ontario, Canada to a Louisa Haynes
Maybe still with his mother and father.  There is an address at the top of the letter, but I cannot make it out.

In any event, that gives you a bit of a background. The letter has many words I cannot make out. Below is my interpretation. There are many blank spots.

Oh, and who is William Jackson, who shot 2 bears? Lol

--=-=-=-=-=

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AifC60WL0cSMuVyZEIXWJgEsWzLd
-=-=-=-=-=-=

Sept. 15th 1873. 22nd, 1865
Letter from ? Bridlington, England       
to: J.C. Pinder   

Transcription 

?????? P.O.
Sep 15 /73

Mr. J.C. Pinder
Woodbridge Ont.

Dear brother,

Your kind and welcome letter came to hand on the 13th and I was glad to hear that you were? well as these few lines  leave(?) me at present. I am most extremely obliged to you for your kind and generous offer which you offered to me and which I shall not forget for the time to come I have ???? ???? got clear

{in upper left hand corner of letter, written very small and diagonally}
remember me(?) to all the folks(?) let me know if they have gone yet. Tell them to be sure and rite(write) as soon as they get up there and ??? ???
of wood to write on

Page 2

of the could that I got,  even in Woodbridge I have not you anything(?) since I saw you and I saw you and ???? intend to do anything more hear for a will. I am very lonesome here and I long for the time to com(e) when I am to get away. John, when you rite (write) for me to com (come) you had best ???? a line in both the Post(?) office one to arthur and one to ????? P.O. (?) so that I shall surely get them. I will ???? you an envelope in this letter so that you can send it to ????? P.O. and they wont know it is from you(?) They open all the letters that

Page 3

come from you and some of them I never get. The one that you sent to me when I was in Woodbridge they got it and opened it and when I asked for it, it could not be found and the last one that you sent to me it had been opened for when little henry gave it to me it was all wet at the end that was held (?) ans when I took ahold(?) of it, it ??? open. So that is the way things is going on hear (here). You wanted to know how I found all the letters(?) when I got home I found some of them before mother and Adalade(?) & William & Coulson Ridesdale was out(?) Arthur ?uting on big still???

Page 4
and for the rest of them I have not found yet. But father he was in the ??? each(?) puting (putting) things for the cattall (cattle?) the rest of them I have not got to see them and ???? intend to go ???? mother and father ??? the XXXX is very thick . Now you know mother has got $50. from the old country. That is what is the matter but it won't last long. I will tell you the rest when I see you. Right as soon as you can and let me know things as for I can not stay hear (here) long.

William Jackson(?) shot two bares(?) last week

Somewhere at present from your aff???net Brother, B Pinder
to Mr. John Coulson Pinder