Author Topic: Need help with family letter  (Read 4782 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with family letter
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
Not sure what happened to Coulson Hutchison. He doesn't show up in any of the census records I have for Agnes.

FreeBMD has his death in 1869.

I can't find any notice in the papers of his death, but this from 1870:
19 February 1870 - Driffield Times - Driffield, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

FLAMBRO', NEAR BRIDLINGTON.

MESSRS. ALLISON & WENTWORTH
Beg to announce that they have received instructions
from the Executors of the late Mr. C. Hutchinson to

SELL BY AUCTION, on WEDNESDAY, MARCH 9th, 1870.
The whole of the Valuable
FARMING STOCK
Implements. &c., compromising
9 horses
30 beasts
95 Leicester EWES in Lamb
3 G?lts in PIG
6 Store Pigs
        Poultry &c
With the whole of the AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENTS &c.

Sale at half past ten in the morning.
For particulars, see hand bills which may be had of
the auctioneers.

On a side note:
The Yorkshire Gazette (York, England), Saturday, May 03, 1845; pg. 5

Marriages
On Wednesday, the 23rd ult., at the parish church, Bridlington, by the Rev. J. Walker, Incumbent of Flambro', Mr. Robert Nicholson, of Flambro', shoemaker, to Agnes, daughter of Mr. Stephen Coulson, of Bridlington, horse dealer.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 00:46 BST (UK) »
Ruskie transcribed : M.. (line through the word which could be Miss Mrs or Mary or something else) Burdass has lost her son Martin in a feaver she has come to live in South Back lane.

As a follow-up:

The Yorkshire Gazette (York, England), Saturday, February 19, 1853
DEATHS
On Tuesday, the 15th inst., at Bridlington, aged 9, Martin, only child of the late Mr. John Burdass, jun., of Bessingly, farmer.

------------

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, January 13, 1849

Deaths
On Sunday, at Bessingby, near Bridlington, aged 44, Mr. John Burdass, farmer.  His death was occasioned from the effect of a gun shot received in one of his legs, on Saturday, the 30th December, from a spring gun in one of the plantations at Bessingby, which had been placed there by his own hands.  The limb was much shattered. Dr. Pierson was called in, and the case went on without any unfavourable symptoms until locked jaw ensued, and death relieved his sufferings on the morning of the day above stated.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
Mrs ? Gibson has come to Bridlington to live the farm of Mr. John Majors?

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times, Friday, February 27, 1863
February 23, at the Priory Church, Bridlington, Mr J Kingston of Flamboro', to Mrs. Gibson, of Bridlington, daughter of the late Mr J Major, of North Burton.

From other snippets I've read his farm was technically in Rudston, near Bridlington.  (Stephen Coulson was also originally from North Burton according to some mentions in random articles.)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
Some excellent information bbart. It all helps to get a sense of these people's lives and add to their stories.  :)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
Amazing information. Really helps to weave a compelling image of how life was at the time.
Combined with the family letters in my possession that stretch into 1876, it's all very immersive.

I do have a letter, dated October 7th, 1863 . I do not have an envelope, nor do I know who sent it, and I suspect it's missing a page. I believe it was sent to Mary Ann (Coulson) Pinder. It is addressed as "Dear Cousin". and mentioned many of the same people as in the previous letter.  If at all interested, I guess I could share a link. You have all been very helpful, and if you want to hear more, I'd be more than happy to share.

I have to ask you though, how do you dig up this information, particularly within newspapers? Not that I have looked into it that deeply, but many seem to offer access only through paid subscription.

Anyways, back to the hunt.. The more one looks, the more paths are open it would seem .

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie!  I love finding the little stories on ancestors.  It somehow raises them from being merely a date of birth, marriage, and death on a piece of paper.

Stephen, you are right about most newspapers being pay sites, but google still has its newspaper archive, libraries have varying resources, some cities have put some online.   It's so variable depending on the area you need, but I do find the availabity increasing each year.  The first step is to search google for "archived newspapers (city name)", then start digging from there.

I'm still not having much luck finding much on the Pinders.  If you want to put the link up for the cousin letter, we might be able to figure out who it is from; I don't think that would too off-topic for this thread.

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
If it doesn't go against any rules, I can certainly put up the next letter.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
Fine by me!

Heh.... no wonder I couldn't find much on William Pinder.... he and his family came to Canada; I was looking in England.  ::)
Sadly, within days of his death (27 Mar 1879 Kent County, Ontario), wife Elizabeth died on 04 Apr.
Informant for both was George Pinder (possibly a brother)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 23:56 BST (UK) »
The last letter was dated 1860, but there is a previous letter, dated 1854.
The letter is from Stephen Coulson to his daughter Mary Ann Coulson Pinder, living in Ontario Canada at this point.
I must warn you, the handwriting, punctuation and condition of the paper is a difficult read

June 21st 1854
Letter from Stephen Coulson to Mary Ann Coulson
           Bridlington, England       Toronto Upper Canada

Transcription 

Bridlington, June 21st, 1854

Dear Mary Ann,

We recieved a letter from you dated March 8th which gave us great pleasure to hear from you and we was very glad to here that you and Stephen was both well as also the Children and we was also glad to here that you have got a more profitable situation you wrote you should like to have a farm of own but if you can keep the situation (?) you now both we think it will be better then you renting one as you now know what you are doing and has no risk ?????? of any thing but however that we will leave to yourselves to be best  judges  how and ? that before you recieved this I hope you will have recieved a newspaper  we sent a few days since to inform you of the death of Mr Bur???? of Thiving? and in this you will find a card inclosed in remembrance of him who died on June 6th it was a very large funeral he has been gradually failing a years or more. He only took to his bed about a fortnight at the last and he was very recieved(?) afflicted his complaint(?) was the gravel he was ?? heavely afflicted that you might here him moan all the ????? over he will be a very missed man in the family. And the servants all say they have lost one of the best masters

verso

Mrs Bar??? was here today buying m????? she has got another daughter she was confined in March and she has been a great deal at Thwing?? during her father ???? and Eliza(?) Dixon has been at Cha????  really eight months. They are all very well at ?oston and ??? and Eliz has both joined the Methodist Society they all send there best respect to all the Family. Mother and I am going to spend a few days last week and we was at Flambo a few days last week and Aunt Hurthenson??? keeps meddling in the heath? for her years and Coulson ?? P??? are both very very well. ??  Hutchison is very ill and Harriet is very much mis him? as she will not have any  one to want her but ??? se sends her best respect to you all and hopes you are doing ???? George Nicholson & Selina are both very well and send their best respect. Agnes?  ???? very well . Hannah has grown a nice girl and sends her best respects to you all and she will send you a letter in a little time. She has left ??? School for holiday and George Roth?? has ?? fine boy and is very fond of Moses ?? and  cows? indeed he takes great delight in all sort of stock and says he will a farmer. His  ??? has had a letter from her

next page

son and he named you in it and said he has seen you and that you was all well. He (she?)  called in to inform Agnes? of it. I have had a very sickly winter myself. I am very much troubled with an ulcer in my throut I have had it cut three times this winter and it made my
throat very painful so that I cannot eat anything that is hard but thankful ? I have got a great deal better since it was cut. Mother has also been poorly a great part of the winter but has got much better and joins me in best respects to Stephen yourself and all rest of the family. I hope you will excuse  ??? and mistakes.
I remain yours sincerely,
Stephen Coulson

-=-=-=-=
Envelope
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuRo1UsGOjt5G6eGh

page 1
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuR4Ont4_auO3izGo[/url]

page 2
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuRvRMh0PUkBGxSed

page 3https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuR3hmMnNYIwsMWwe