Author Topic: Molly short for Louise?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Molly short for Louise?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:45 BST (UK) »
Marriages Dec quarter 1891
Nantwich 8s 600

There is a John Ashworth and a Louisa Adelaide Tattersall on the same page

Possible death:

Mar 1901 
Ashworth  Louisa A 
age 35 
Wolverhampton  6b 380

Looking at the quarter it may be that her death was childbirth related - daughter Louisa Adelaide named after her mother.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 June 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
In 1911 Doris is with her Uncle Walter Tattersall and her grandmother Louisa Tattersall.

I can't see Louisa in 1911, nor can I see a death for her, which may indicate that Molly = Louisa.  :-\ Someone else might be able to spot something I have missed.

If 'Molly' happens to be 'Mary' there are a lot of births of Mary Ashworths and Mary Tylers in the indexes. :-\

Offline tyler11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 June 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks all so far, yes Jen B this is the family I am looking at. Ethel was a visitor in 1901 and married to John by 1911. I could only find three children prior to Ethel so obviously their mother must have passed away but if we read it right and there were four children, maybe Ethel had a child that died?
Ruskie thank you! Doris had become a small mystery and without knowing her mother's maiden name I had become a little stuck.

I wondered if because of the year of birth Molly would be Louise/Louisa just found it an unusual shortened name! Yes I think you're right, the mother maybe died by something childbirth related, the timing seems correct

Now to figure out the missing child!

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 June 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
Louisa the child, Louisa the mother, Louisa the grandmother.

My mother was Marion named after her mother BUT was never called Marion because that was her mother, she was always Molly. Only on official documents was she Marion. She was called Molly to stop any confusion, is this your answer?

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 June 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
I'm also pretty sure 'Molly' in 1911 is actually Louisa. It must have just been a family 'pet name, but not one we'd expect.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 June 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
The missing child could be from John's marriage with Louisa or Ethel. It looks like John may have included all of his children rather than children from his current marriage, when he filled in the census form.

I had a quick look on the GRO indexes and there are a couple of births of Ashworths with MMN Tattersall after 1891, though not in Wolverhampton.