Author Topic: FutureLearn Free Online Genealogy Course - July 3  (Read 779 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
FutureLearn Free Online Genealogy Course - July 3
« on: Monday 26 June 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
Yet another opportunity to join this excellent course, starting a week today, Monday July 3.

More info, and sign in, at https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/genealogy

Many RCers have gained valuable help and experience from earlier versions of this mooc. It has been regularly tinkered with, and with far fewer students now the discussion is far more manageable.

Well worth a try for new students or those who wish to repeat.

<i>Important new info</i> ... In line with all FutureLearn moocs, the course material will now only be available to you for a couple of weeks after the course ends (without payment), so copy/save anything you wish to keep as you go along.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FutureLearn Free Online Genealogy Course - July 3
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
I took the course a couple of months ago. It was, indeed, excellent. And free - as I didn't feel the need to buy the certificate. Thanks for the tip about downloading sugarbakers!

Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
I took the first course (along with about a million other people)  ;). I was not impressed with content or delivery, but I did hear that subsequent courses were better.

I'm afraid that I did not like the lecturer (or whatever the title), so will not bother to repeat the experience.

Other Future Learn courses have received high praise.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
I have taken several MOOC courses, mostly very well presented and informative, but when I joined this course on its first appearance some time ago I was extremely disappointed.  It was put together in a very amateurish way and the presenters were poor - one insisted is calling genealogy "geneology" all the way through, and the DNA section was read to camera by a man sitting at a desk who barely looked up throughout.  I do hope huge improvements have been made and that those joining now will not be disappointed.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
I take your points. There were a couple of parts of the course that were amateurishly filmed and presented. But, in the main, I found it useful and informative. My main reason for doing it was to learn more about DNA and I came away more knowledgeable about that. I also really liked the guidance on search engines. Trying their How to Read The Novel course next month so I'll have something to compare it to!

Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen