Author Topic: Census vs. Griffiths Valuation-Location Ancestor Property  (Read 895 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Census vs. Griffiths Valuation-Location Ancestor Property
« on: Monday 26 June 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
With great help from wonderful people on this web-page I have been able to pinpoint the location of where my ancestors rented land in the town land of Creevy, Glaskermore, Co. Down. My problem now is on the 1901 and 1911 Census for this area, it lists numbers by each residents of houses in Creevy. At  #4 there is my 2x Great Grandfather, Isaac Fergus Sr. who lived with his daughter and then #14, Isaac Fergus Jr. and his family.
Griffiths Valuation, with the help of a very kind person, told me that a Isaac Fergus, rented land on Annaghbane Road, just before the cross road of Wests Road. I'm thinking around #7 Annaghbane Road from the google map- satellite shot.
Can someone tell me does that mean that either #4 or #14 on the 1901 and 1911 Census, is the same spot and if so, how can I find the other property or area from the info on the census.
I am travelling over in September and want to visit these areas, so I want to make sure I am correct, so I don't end up jumping up and down in some Farmer's field, wishing it were 1870 and have people think this woman from Canada is daft!!! Really would appreciate this final help, then I'm good to go.

As always sincere thank you.
Susan
Ajax, Ontario
Canada

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census vs. Griffiths Valuation-Location Ancestor Property
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   In the 1901 and 1911 census the enumerator allocated a number to each house and the same house could, and often did, have a different number in each census. Use the location on the Griffiths map to locate the property.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
As kingskerswell stated it was the enumerator who numbered the houses in their area; a new property or a vacated property would change the numbering as would where they started!

Griffiths would be most accurate but if you are travelling through Dublin the Valuations Office on Abbey Street they are very helpful.  If you bring a copy of the address of the county & townland as shown on census returns (I usually bring in a printed copy) they can look up the townland's land registration and state who was where up to 1980 and how the land changed hands.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
The Valuation Revision Books for Co. Down (and the other N.I. counties) are online (dates range from printed version of Griffith's Valuation until c1930)
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/search-archives-online/valuation-revision-books
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much to all for the information!! I feel confident I have the correct location and was told by my elderly Aunts that the other resident was a small house down the road, so I will be close enough. So excited I was able to find the farm house of my 2X Great Grandfather and family, so I will be jumping up and down on the property in excitement at how my hard work paid off. Not without the kind help from people on this web site.

Cheers!!!