Author Topic: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation  (Read 11578 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 07 January 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
While the Kew Centre might be (almost certainly is) different from others in the country, the workload seems to have fundamentally changed over the last 6 months

Microfilm readers have virtually all gone, so no need to explain how to use those, no collecting films from the vault every 15 minutes, because they're at the SOG. I haven't seen anyone print anything in at least 3 years so that's a red herring.

So currently. the LDS Team seem to focus on their own projects and helping anyone who asks for advice.

They're lovely people, I hope it continues
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 08 January 18 06:03 GMT (UK) »
StevieSteve

I couldn't agree more!

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 08 January 18 07:58 GMT (UK) »
So you see, Guy, that not all volunteers are computer illiterate and unable to post a message on social media sites.

I did not say they were but in most FHCs only certain staff can upload things to the website, not just any volunteer. As for posting on social media how would that help, messages on twitter and facebook do not automatically go to everyong on twitter or facebook they are confined to specific groupings.
Just like a forum any can read the message if the specifically go to that forum.

Smudwhisk and I have also TRIED to point out the various ways we show our appreciation to the LDS Church who provide this excellent resource but you're ignoring them.  How else can we show our appreciation other than buying microfilms, donating paper (or other consumables) and indexing records?  I have also helped with the cleaning when I've arrived early.  If I was a millionaire I would help financially but most users of the Centres are not, so we can only help in small ways.  We're not all selfish freeloaders.

I was not asking if people appreciated the LDS Church but questioning why people thought it was acceptable to ask people who were already giving their time and if a member of the Church their money to provided patrons with facilities and access to records to do even more for those patrons.
I was not even calling people freeloaders but asking why people thought the volunteers should do even more for them?
Can’t we just appreciate what they do for us without asking for more?

After all it was you who said_
Thanks smudwhisk

I don't feel that I should phone before every visit if I go there 2 or 3 times a week. 

DSusdan

But you wanted them to phone you if the FHC had to shut unexpectedly.

Obviously my expectations are different from yours. I would blame myself for not checking if the venue I visited was closed or if that was not possible simply understand that there had been a problem and carried on to do something else, but you and others seem to think that the venue should contact you in some way.

Obviously I am out of touch.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 08 January 18 08:19 GMT (UK) »
We'll agree to disagree, there's not much point in all of this.  You seem to still think that we are all demanding divas who like to work people to death, which is blatantly untrue.

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 08 January 18 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Also, if your issue is that we can access these records for free, I would be more than willing to pay a fee for each visit I make, I think it would be well worth it.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 08 January 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
As for posting on social media how would that help, messages on twitter and facebook do not automatically go to everyong on twitter or facebook they are confined to specific groupings.
Just like a forum any can read the message if the specifically go to that forum.

Er, yes. Instead of phoning before you leave as you suggested, you look at the status. Saves time, doesn't continually interrupt anyone

Obviously I am out of touch.

Cheers
Guy
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE