Author Topic: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation  (Read 11570 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 June 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
The LDS have stated that they will discontinue Film distribution worldwide with the intention of digitising all films they hold by 2020. Unfortunately this appears to indicate a 3 year period during which the information on the films will not be available unless your local centre already holds copies.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 June 17 05:04 BST (UK) »
Wow. Another 3 years Falkym. I may not be here that much longer! ;)

Have you checked whether the films you're interested in have been digitised at LDS hurworth?
I found several of the different Paisley churches the other day ARE digitised and viewable at an LDS library on-line - in NZ. It was great to find some of the images I hadn't paid for on SP.
I could also look at Falkland, Kirkcaldy, Avondale.......... and those were just the few I found on one day.

And yes, you can often find breakthroughs looking at the actual registers.
In one village in Cheshire, I could never tie in my 'Allman/ Almond' family with some 'Ormond' baptisms and burials with any certainty, even though they might sound very similar when said out loud.
And then I found it had been digitised at LDS, and right on the back cover of the register, a note the minister must have made for himself to remind him to put it in the register ' Jesse Almond baptised son of William Ormond'. Fabulous!  :D
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 June 17 07:19 BST (UK) »
I have found that many of the films digitised and viewable on-line at a LDS library for the places I want to look at, are films of the Bishop's Transcripts. MAny of the actual Parish registers are still only viewable by sending for the film.

So how will that work after the end of August?

Hi Goldie61

My own example is that the Cambridgeshire PRs are only available at a home PC as Bishop's Transcripts but the original registers are available online at the Kew FHC - which is fine

I'm off there tomorrow, so if you have a specific example, I can ask them about it

Steve
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 June 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately this appears to indicate a 3 year period during which the information on the films will not be available unless your local centre already holds copies.

Up to three years with the more popular films going up first.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 June 17 08:43 BST (UK) »
I'm guessing world-wide, as they have made a very general information page about it, without mentioning any restrictions.

Bob

It is worldwide.
The main problem is most microfilm stock manufactures stopped producing microfilm a number of years ago.
When the LDS found out they bought as much stock film as they could.
That blank stock is now running out therefore they cannot make copies to distribute any more.
They want to keep the master films in good condition to enable them to be digitised rather than risk loaning them and getting them scratched or damaged.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 June 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the explanation Guy.

The microfilms have helped preserve the original images, and now they need to preserve the microfilms.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 June 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer Stevie, but the ones I want are definitely only on film still. There is no 'camera' icon, even in the LDS library, to view them online at all. Just a 'film reel' icon. Better get the orders in quick if I want to see them!
I too have found a some registers you can view at home, but many more only at the LDS library.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline bradburyd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 June 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
60,000 microfilms from the London FamilySearch Centre have been transferred to the Society of Genealogists.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 July 17 00:53 BST (UK) »

Have you checked whether the films you're interested in have been digitised at LDS hurworth?
I found several of the different Paisley churches the other day ARE digitised and viewable at an LDS library on-line - in NZ. It was great to find some of the images I hadn't paid for on SP.
I could also look at Falkland, Kirkcaldy, Avondale.......... and those were just the few I found on one day.

No, I haven't goldie.  Should I be able to check this from home and if so how would I be able to tell?

On the index the records I want there isn't a next to them when there is a long list of various names.  On the individual entry there is an Indexing Project (Batch) number and also a GS Film number.  There an camera with "No image available" written next to it.