Author Topic: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation  (Read 11509 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 July 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
I’m not quite sure what page you are starting from on familysearch, so I’ll try and explain what I do to see if the films are digitised and viewable.

From here https://familysearch.org/search/, go to ‘Search’ - in between ‘Family Tree’ and ‘Memories ‘
Click to bring up a menu.
Go down to ‘Catalogue’.
Click.
In the  box under ‘Place’ put in the name of the place you want, eg Paisley. (Don’t worry at this point if you know a specific church, this will come up later).
Wait for it to recognise the place and county, and select the one you want. (eg, there are two towns called  ‘Prestbury’, one in Cheshire and one in Gloucestershire, so I’d pick Prestbury, Cheshire).
Don’t worry about the rest of it, just click the ‘search’ button.
You will get all the information about the films they have about that particular place.
If you want the parish registers or BTs, click on ‘Church records’, and it will come up with the films they have.
If you find a film there you think is the one one want to see, see if there is a camera icon next to it, and click on it. If it’s viewable at home, it will load, or it may say it’s only viewable at an LDS library.
If there’s no camera icon, and only a film reel icon, it means you still have to order it from Salt Lake. (Get in before August evidently!).

I hope you can follow this!

If you give me the name of a couple of places I can check them out and send you a link.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 July 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
Go to:-

https://familysearch.org/catalog/search

Type in a place name and click on search you should get a results list like this:-

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=79&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Isle%20of%20Man%22

Then click on one of the items and select a title. You will get a page something like this:-

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/233934?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Click on any items with a camera icon and see if the images will load. You may get a message saying only available at an LDS centre or unavailable for another reason or the first image may appear on screen. If the download facility is enabled make sure you save anything of interest as access conditions may change in the future.

Blue 

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 July 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you goldie and blue for your very easy to follow instructions.  Many of the records I am interested in ARE available digitally at a LDS centre!

Now I just have to work out which ones aren't yet and order them.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 July 17 11:56 BST (UK) »

Now I just have to work out which ones aren't yet and order them.

Won't that still be £7.50 a pop?
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 July 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Glad you found some of the films you are looking for are digitised and available at the LDS library hurworth.

I just checked at the LDS library - films are $8.50 NZ if you need to send for them.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 02:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the great instructions, goldie61 and Blue70. I have now discovered that 2 films I was about to order have the little cameras and so are available to view through my local family history center  :).

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
I had successful day at the Family History Centre today.

It took about 20 minutes to log in.  To start with it wouldn't recognise the log in I use at home. 

Once I was in I focused on three films that have been digitised and obtained the eight images I really wanted.  I also browsed and for the Scottish baptisms (1790s and 1800s) it gave me an idea of who was who and what the recorded info meant.  The column on the right asked who the baby was named after. 

I think the Dundee baptism records are transcripts though.  The writing is in one hand for many years, and the ink doesn't change for years and years.  It will explain why  couple of children who were recorded in a Bible (both birth and baptism dates) are not recorded in the parish record.   

One image from England I viewed is far more useful than a marriage certificate (which would have been the other option, as it isn't on any pay-to-view sites) because the parish image has the original signatures.  There is absolutely no doubt now that this man is our relative as he has a distinctive signature and it matches his signature from his first marriage.

Using polarbear and goldie's tips I helped the woman seated next to me find the digitised film of her ancestor's baptism in Wales.  It had 500 pages and she ran out of time!

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 09:15 BST (UK) »
Just wondering whether the centres allow you to save a digital image in some form or whether you have to print them out please?  I'm also wondering if it varies between centres?
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 10:02 BST (UK) »
I was able to save the images to a memory stick.