Author Topic: Kent Marriage Licences 1750 Onwards  (Read 15694 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Kent Marriage Licences 1750 Onwards
« on: Monday 26 June 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
Does anyonre know where I can view indexes to Canterbury Marriage Licences for Kent from 1750 onwards online? I have pdf versions of the volumes by Cowper which cover 1568-1750 which are very useful. Does anyone know if there are volumes covering the later years?

Thanks

Matt

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kent Marriage Licences 1750 Onwards
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has Canterbury Marriage Licences for 1751 to 1837

see

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5888

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has Canterbury Marriage Licences for 1751 to 1837

see

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5888

Hi

Thanks for that. I'm puzzled though as the link only brings up the search page for the "Kent, England, Extracted Parish Records" database in Ancestry. I did a search in the card catalogue for the Marriage Licences but that returned no results.

Any other suggestions on how I can find them or where they would be located in Ancestry?

Thanks again

Matt

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
The Kent, England, Extracted Parish Records includes the marriage licences.  If you scroll to the bottom of the page it lists the records included.

Kent, Surrey, London: - Canterbury Marriage Licences, 1751-1780
Kent, Surrey, London: - Canterbury Marriage Licences, 1781-1809
Kent, Surrey, London: - Canterbury Marriage Licences, 1810-1837

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
The Kent, England, Extracted Parish Records includes the marriage licences.  If you scroll to the bottom of the page it lists the records included.

Kent, Surrey, London: - Canterbury Marriage Licences, 1751-1780
Kent, Surrey, London: - Canterbury Marriage Licences, 1781-1809
Kent, Surrey, London: - Canterbury Marriage Licences, 1810-1837

Hiya

Many thanks for that.

Matt

Offline ronsaghey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi:

Another source is through the Family Search catalog.  Marriage and general license registers for the Diocese of Canterbury, 1568-1924 have been digitized. However, in order to view the records, you would need to have a Family Search account, which is free, and visit a Family History Centre.  Here's the link to the records.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/390754?availability=Family%20History%20Library

The books do have indexes with them.  I was recently able to view and download an image of an actual marriage license from 1803.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi:

Another source is through the Family Search catalog.  Marriage and general license registers for the Diocese of Canterbury, 1568-1924 have been digitized. However, in order to view the records, you would need to have a Family Search account, which is free, and visit a Family History Centre.  Here's the link to the records.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/390754?availability=Family%20History%20Library

The books do have indexes with them.  I was recently able to view and download an image of an actual marriage license from 1803.

Hi

Many thanks for that. I didn't know they'd been digitized. I have an account for Familysearch so I will take a look later.

Thanks again

Matt

Offline Harlow One-Name Study

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I have the three Arthur J Willis Canterbury Marriage Licences books from 1751-1837:

1751-1780
1781-1809
1810-1837

Happy to do a look-up. The books are organised in year order but the entries in the year are not necessarily in date order - a year of entries may be 10 or so pages. There is an index of surnames at the back of the book so you can find the pages for a groom's or bride's surname. The index helps to locate the surname within a year as you use the index to find the page within the year instead of having to scan through 10 or so pages. There is a second index of surnames of guardians or bondsmen that may be mentioned in some of the marriage licence entrries.

An example of an entry from 1795:

Wm FREEMAN of St Peter under-butler bach & Sarah HARLOW of the s sp. 24 Jul. John HUGHES of the s groom bond.

Robin Harlow
Harlow One-Name Study
Worldwide One-Name Study (ONS) of the Harlow surname and the surname variants Harlowe, Harlo & Harloe + maybe Arlow

Offline janew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 May 22 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin

Thanks for your kind offer.  I wonder if you could see if there is an entry for the following marriage by licence:
Solomon WIS(S)ENDEN & Mary LEM(M)ON married 25 Jul 1768 Milton next Sittingbourne

Thanks
Jane