Author Topic: John Taylor  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John Taylor
« on: Tuesday 27 June 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
After many years search I found John Taylor [from letter]  left "Canada from Montreal by SS Numnidian Allan line Nov 2nd 96 Army reserve steerage" I have his arrival how do I find his departure? I am looking  to see where he was living.

His British army records transferred to Canada, looks like from 1892, - 1895 he served 4 years 15 days, he rejoined 9 Nov1899 -23 Sep 1901, he was an 1st class orderly on his records is
 "LIEUT-COLONEL A.M.S 16th COY- .M.S. CORPS. merchant" ?
Any with knowledge of Canadian Army 

Thank you,
Ann
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Taylor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
Ann

The record is of part of your man's British service.

It is (British) Medical Staff Corps and the signature looks like E (Edmond) Townsend Lieutenant Colonel Army Medical Staff.  In the faded signature he writes Surgeon Lieutenant Colonel which was his full rank.Your man was a hospital cook and later orderly.

Do you have his record (8145 Private John Taylor Medical Staff Corps).  He was in Canada from 1883 to 1888, served in the British army until 1895, returned to Canada but came back to UK in 1896 because his brother was ill.  Rejoined the British Army in 1899 and served until 1901.  There is no record of him returning again to Canada.

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD, that is helpful.
I do have John's service, how do I find out where John was in Canada? on his passenger list Nov 2nd 96 he was an Army reserve, what army?
would the Canadian passenger departure give more info?

Ann

Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
The reserve bit relates to his British service. He had signed on in 1888 for a total of twelve years, 3 years active and 9 on the reserve.  He later changed to 7 years active and (although it doesn't spell it out on his record) leaving 5 years on the reserve.  Whatever, he was committed until 1900 to recall in the event of mobilization so in 1896 he was still in the middle of the reserve element.

I had looked at where he could have been in Canada from 1883-1888 and then from 1895-1896 without any success, there are no real clues (and he missed the censuses!).  The letter from the Canadian Veterans Allowance Board in 1939 just quotes John Taylor as saying "resided continuously " [83-88] without saying where and "was employed in Canada"  when in 1899 he was recalled to the colours [in UK].  That last bit doesn't quite add up as he left Canada in 1896 because of his brother's illness and it doesn't look as if he went back to Canada in the 96-99 period.
His 1896 letter is obviously to some Canadian authority to whom he is "sending in his papers".  The British reply to Canada  refers to this as "writing to his Corps" as if this was the British he was writing to, I don't read his letter like that.  My reading is that he was a member of a local militia somewhere but the Canadian Archives are quite clear that to find a record of a militia man you need to know the regiment, and there were a multitude!

The 1896 voyage back to UK gives us no further info than you have.  It may be that further digging into travel records may help, I'll dig around later.

For the moment, perhaps you'd see what you think about my interpretations above.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 02:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD
As you say things don't add up, in John Military History Sheet
Home 88 -99.  South Africa, 99 - 01. Home 20.  9. 01 - 23. 9.01. no mention of Canada, ?
I cant find John in the 1911 census, as yet, he was not with his siblings or mother & stepfather.      His brother who was ill was Edward  he was discharged at Netley on the 8.1.89 as medically unfit  Ague [malaria] he had been suffering from 1.10.87,  address 23 Warrick St Ryde.
Edward joined the army as he was due in court as being the putative  father of an illegitimate female child
 Thank for your Help

Ann

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 07:25 BST (UK) »
Ann

I had wanted to edit my post before you read it but the need for sleep intervened!  On reflection, I think the letter he wrote from Canada was to the British authorities, how else would it end up in his documents?  Doesn't change anything though.

The seeming peculiarity in his service history comes about as a vagary of the army records system.
 As far as the army was concerned, it recorded both active and reserve service as if he was always serving throughout.  He wasn't serving in Canada so the bit between active and 99 had to go down as Home.  It does seem from the letters as if he had requested and received permission to go to Canada while on the reserve.  Again changes nothing.

Re 1911.  the letter from the Canadian authorities quotes him as saying he returned to Canada in 1901 and he was obviously there in 1939 when he turned to them for help.  Have you looked in the Canadian censuses (I don't have worldwide access to Ancestry)? 

Haven't looked properly at travel yet!

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
More.  I have found a possible for John Taylor of the right age travelling on his own to Canada, leaving Liverpool on 10 October 01 on the "Australian" which arrived Montreal 22 Oct 01 showing his final destination as Shakespeare Ontario.  There are some Ontario (not Shakespeare) candidates in the 1911 census but none that give a 1901 arrival (but most don't quote the arrival).

In 1883, the ship "Polynesian" carried a ship load of Barnardo's children to Quebec.  Among them was a 14 year old John Taylor.  I had thought 14 was a young age to be going unless he was part of a family but as a Barnardo's boy it makes sense.  Although their destination was shown as Quebec, they presumably could have gone anywhere.  If it fits this might be a place to start? http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/barnardo-home-records.html.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD
You said "
 the letter from the Canadian authorities quotes him as saying he returned to Canada in 1901 and he was obviously there in 1939"

I haven't seen that letter? have I missed one, I only have one letter!

Records for Canada,
Library and Archives Canada  [http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Pages/home.aspx ]

Census Year: 1911 [http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1911/Pages/1911.aspx]

I have search some of the 1911, but as I don't know where living :(

Ann

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
Ann

I assumed when you said earlier that you had his service records that you had all the records relating to him.  We need to review what you have, I'll send a PM.

maxD 

I have no problem finding the Canadian archive material, that's where I've been looking at travel information and censuses.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk