Author Topic: James McKenzie, Dundee  (Read 9435 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: James McKenzie, Dundee
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 July 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
It's actually a strange one this...

Forfar connection with Military, 1901 states born Edinburgh yet the surname McKenzie is a further north surname?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
  • Personal history lives on through the generations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 July 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
civil marriage record for James and Catherine.
It reads - James Mckenzie of full age, a private in the 93rd rgt (not the 97th as I said) of Beggars Bush Barracks Co Dublin - son of John McKenzie, an engineer - to Katherine Dorman - of full age of 23 upper Mount Street, city of Dublin - daughter of William Dorman, a Steward. Witnesses were Sarah Lawlor and Peter Anderson.
The church record gives James' parents as Thomas and Margaret from Alba.
Rosinish,  to answer your questions; 
When James first married Catherine Dorman in an 1877 Civil ceremony, he stated his father was John and was an engineer.  A year later in a church wedding he stated his father was Thomas but unfortunately did not list an occupation. 
The only children I know of are 
Thomas. Born 15th Sept 1878  Sponsor Margaret Darman 23 Earl st.
Catherine 1880. 11 Lr King st. sponsor Catherine Donohue.?  I believe this child died very young.
John 7th May 1880. 38 Common St. sponsors Thomas Rorke and Maria Dorman.
Mary 1885 (census)
Catherine 1887 128 Townsend St. sponsor William Cooper, Jane Byrne.
James 1889 1 Grattan Court. Sponsors Thomas McKenzie, Catherine Nichol.
Hannah Ellen 1893 1 Peterson’s lane. Sponsor Maggie Dorman
Louisa 1895 (Census)
I acknowledge pndorman as the source of some of this information.
Connor/O Connor, Kiltoom, Westmeath
Duff, Coolure, Mayne, Co. Westmeath
Clancy, Kane, Endrim & Kilpatrick, Kings County
McKenzie, Dublin and Dundee.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 July 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
1901 census gives Edinburgh as place of birth and in 1911 the person completing the census has started to write Edinburgh and then crossed it out and written Scotland.
Struggling to understand where Dundee and the Forfar Militia fits in.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 July 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
Annie - The Family Search results I posted are here https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ajames~%20%2Bsurname%3Amckenzie~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Adundee~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1856-1859~

Bechurian - we corresponded privately with regard to the military side but you did not reply to my PM of 28 Junel inviting you to scan the records (not the index which is what you posted before) so I don't think we have much info yet about his army service!

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 July 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all, First off I have to admit I do not know the geography of Scotland.  Murryfield is as far as I go and that's it.   ;)  I am looking for info on James McKenzie who I estimate was born in [+-]1860.
His father was Thomas McKenzie and mother Margaret.  As far as I know James came from or lived in Dundee.  James served in the military from 1881 to 1915 and was posted in Forfarshire Rga. but I was informed by our friends in the military section that the rga reference is wrong.  What I do know is he ended his service in Beggars Bush Barracks in Dublin.  He married a Catherine (Kate) Dorman on Sept 8 1878.  She was from Ireland.
Any help in building up an image of this family would be of great help.  I am interested in the Scottish side of this only as I have the full family who remained in Dublin.
Gerry
James is described as a Labourer on nearly all the birth certificates of the children that I have found on the irishgenealogy.ie website. This is at odds with your claim that he served from 1881 to 1915. Only reference to him being a soldier is on his marriage certificate.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 July 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Isobelw

Elsewhere I have pointed out to the OP that the reference to 1881 to 1915 is an often seen mess up by some sites who take a document covering the whole period and transcribe it as "service between".  his man's service would have been somewhere within the two dates.  Indeed the unit in question was disbanded in 1908!  I haven't yet been able to get any further on the military side for want f sight of the records.  I know exactly where to find the records of the Forfar and Kincardine RGA but the true dates are needed to get any further!

While researching this earlier I came across this which I posted for amusement (I hope) elsewher on the site. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=775088.0

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
  • Personal history lives on through the generations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 July 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
isobelw -  The years of service are not known.  I understood the years indicated were his years of service but maxD put me straight when he explained the years were an indication of the records available.  It was my error in the beginning which was cleared up fairly quickly.

MaxD - I did look at the link you provided and could not make any sense of it. I found nothing.  I will give it another go.
Connor/O Connor, Kiltoom, Westmeath
Duff, Coolure, Mayne, Co. Westmeath
Clancy, Kane, Endrim & Kilpatrick, Kings County
McKenzie, Dublin and Dundee.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 July 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
It was a link to one of the Forfar and Kincardine RGA series of records where the (to me) amusing bit was the heading showing which initials it was dealing with:

Forfar and Kincardine R.G.A.: SEE - YOU (as in See you Jimmy -Russ Abbot

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 July 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
Still not sure why we are chasing this militia record. On his marriage certificate in 1877 and also on the birth certificate of his first child in 1878 James is described as being in the 93rd regiment. On the birth of John in 1880 he is a Clerk and births from 1881 onwards ( see eg birth of Margaret) he is a Labourer. In 1901 he is a Labourer and in 1911 a Carpet Planner.