Author Topic: James McKenzie, Dundee  (Read 9433 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James McKenzie, Dundee
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 July 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a quick summary - this started on the on the Armed Forces board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773917.msg6271560#msg6271560 which then came across to this board as the emphasis was on family.

The path to the regular army, in this case the 93rd, from the part time militia was one well trodden by many so a start in the militia followed by a stint in the 93rd was certainly feasible.  However, as perhaps you will have gathered, we (I) can't tie down the name to that unit of militia (no NA records before 1894).  I have suggested a couple of lines of approach.

I should also say that I am unable to find any service record for a James McKenzie in the 93rd in the time frame.  This is not surprising, most records for men who left the service in the normal way after their commitment were routinely destroyed.

If there were a service record for the man in the 93rd and it said he had previously served in the Forfarshire and Kincardine Militia RGA then we'd be quids in but there isn't one and there is no service record that has any family info.  I would therefore now say that the military side is not going to shed any light on the search.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
  • Personal history lives on through the generations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 July 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Well summed up MaxD.  Isobelw where did these récords pop up from.  I have searched high up and low down for a couple of years now and faiLED to find anything except the marriage cert  and my grandfathers birth.  Well done and thanks so much.
Gerry
Connor/O Connor, Kiltoom, Westmeath
Duff, Coolure, Mayne, Co. Westmeath
Clancy, Kane, Endrim & Kilpatrick, Kings County
McKenzie, Dublin and Dundee.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 July 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
You can view them for free at irishgenealogy.ie
See also Margaret 1885 and Ellen 1892 which you may not have seen before. Think they all died as babies
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 00:37 BST (UK) »
Annie - The Family Search results I posted are here https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ajames~%20%2Bsurname%3Amckenzie~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Adundee~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1856-1859~

MaxD...

I read all the births (not only Dundee/Angus) although possibly should have been clearer in my wording.....

I couldn't find a James born Dundee/Angus to a Thomas & Margaret nor John & Margaret i.e. names didn't fit  :D
I posted the only marriage I found with a James & Margaret (Lanarkshire)

Isobel, Thanks for the info. from the marriage & birth cert.
"On his marriage certificate in 1877 and also on the birth certificate of his first child in 1878 James is described as being in the 93rd regiment"

MaxD, How old would one have to be to enlist? We have a c yr of birth as 1860 +/- (hence my question).

Benchurian, I'm finding it strange with the naming of James' children as they don't seem to use the traditional naming pattern  ???

There's no Margaret after his mother, no William after Catherine/Katherine's father.
EDIT..Just noticed Isobel's post with Thomas being William Thomas but I had been reading from your list of births  ;)

It may be worth looking for further info. on the Sponsor Thomas McKenzie on his son James' birth in 1889, 1 Grattan Court!

There can't be many McKenzies in Ireland surely/hopefully  ???

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 02:51 BST (UK) »
I think this could be Thomas in 1901?

Born Scotland..

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003805202/

A marriage would be good as this Thomas' wife was born Ireland.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 07:28 BST (UK) »
James was 46 in 1901 and 56 in 1911 which makes his birth nearer 1855. There is a possible James in the 1861 census age 7, living with his widowed mother Margaret in Edinburgh. However she is described as a Hawker, so seems unlikely her deceased husband would have been an Engineer.
James and Catherine had two daughters that they named Margaret, both seem to have died in infancy.
Thomas found in 1901 could be a possible for the sponsor, however I note he was Church of Ireland and James was Roman Catholic.
Isobel

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 08:22 BST (UK) »
Forfar connection with Military, 1901 states born Edinburgh yet the surname McKenzie is a further north surname?
Yes, MacKenzie/McKenzie is from further north (Inverness-shire/Ross and Cromarty) but by the 1860s enough Highlanders had 'emigrated' to the Lowlands to make it quite a common surname even in Edinburgh. There were 556 M*k*nz* births in the City of Edinburgh between 1855 and 1869.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
benchurian, I am confused. You say in a post dated 5 January 2012 in your other thread that you had 'just dicovered' that James was born in Edinburgh about 1855. Yet in the first post in this thread, dated 27 June 2017, you say he was from Dundee and born about 1860.

Are we looking for two James Mackenzies, one born in Edinburgh 1855-ish and one in Dundee 1860-ish? If not, and you knew in 2012 that he came from Edinburgh, why are you asking the same question five years later on the basis that he came from Dundee?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
Death certificate for James in case you don't have it.