Author Topic: MOSES STEVENS at BARTON MILLS  (Read 578 times)

Offline MLD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MOSES STEVENS at BARTON MILLS
« on: Tuesday 27 June 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
I am researching Robert Stevens, born at Ousden in 1731 - parents Moses and Elizabeth.
Moses Stevens apparently married Elizabeth Starling at Barton Mills in 1740 but I am unclear whether this is the same couple and wonder if the entry gives any clues. Or is there an earlier marriage somewhere ?
There are apparently burials of Moses at Barton Mills in 1742 and 1758 and I am wondering if they give any clues.
Also wondering if Moses baptised at Barton Mills - probably about 1700-1710.
Any help would be very welcome.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MOSES STEVENS at BARTON MILLS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Taken from Barton Mills parish register

Moses Stevens of Lakenheath (the writing was very feint here but I believe it said WID) and Elizabeth Starling of this parish were married 21st July 1740

You'd need somebody with a different record to double check this

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Taken from Ousden parish register

John and Jonathan sons of Moses Stevens and Elizabeth his wife were baptised 20th May and buried 22nd May 1729
Robert s/o Moses Stevens and Elizabeth his wife was baptised 6th Jan 1730

I couldn't find a marriage for Moses and Elizabeth ~1729 at Ousden or Barton Mills.
I also couldn't find a burial for Elizabeth ~1739 (assuming the first Elizabeth died and Moses married a second Elizabeth in 1740)

Offline MLD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 July 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Anne.
It looks as if the same Moses may have married twice but this is complicated by the burial of a Moses Stevens at Ousden in 1742. I suppose that could possibly have been his father.
I have not found a baptism for Moses.
Michael