Author Topic: Another FindMyPast £1/Month offer - be quick!  (Read 4513 times)

Offline halhawk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another FindMyPast £1/Month offer - be quick!
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting the offer, bugbear.  I had been planning to get a month's sub (primarily for the Newspaper Archive) at some point in the future, and had been making a list of events to look for.  This offer means I haven't had to wait ... and almost the first thing I found was something I never knew existed ... a photo of my grandfather!  I had never seen a picture of him ... and he has my father's smile (or I suppose the other way round)  ... many thanks :)
BARNES - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
FORD - Gloucestershire
FROWEN - Gloucestershire; Canada (Ontario)
HAWKINS - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean), Canada, Australia, South Africa
HAYNES - Gloucestershire
KNIGHT - Deerhurst, Gloucestershire
MAYO - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
PAYNE - Frome, Somerset; Stroud, Gloucestershire
PRIDAY - Gloucestershire, Australia
SHIPWAY - Stroud, Gloucestershire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 June 17 11:01 BST (UK) »
I've emailed to complain as well. FindMyPast are obviously daft enough to think that these offers will entice people to take out a subscription (most won't) instead of just jumping in to take advantage of the free offers, but I don't see why we subscribers should fund it. Its getting ridiculous.

No, I don't blame people for taking advantage of the offers, I blame FindMyPast.

Its the same old story with most companies these days - once they have your custom they're not interested in you anymore and all the offers go to entice non-customers.

If they reply to me telling me I benefitted by having access to Irish records, I shall tell them exactly where to insert their shillelagh!!!  >:( >:(
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 29 June 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
If they reply to me telling me I benefitted by having access to Irish records, I shall tell them exactly where to insert their shillelagh!!!  >:( >:(

Yes, they will tell you that  ::) They informed me of that very fact yesterday evening  :-X

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 29 June 17 13:08 BST (UK) »
I've just had a reply. No mention of Irish records (which is a shame because I was really looking forward to my shillelagh instructions!). At least they answer promptly.

It was the usual polite reply basically saying 'tough' when you pare away the flannel. They point out subscriber benefits which don't amount to much really - a few discounts if you just happen to be interested in the item on offer. One of our benefits is

first to have a say in what record sets you would like to see next

Has anyone ever emailed them with 'your say'? I have - many moons ago - suggesting Westmoreland and Cumberland parish records. never even got a reply!

Another one is

Priority customer support

to which my answer is: I should bl---y well think so!!

I have also suggested that subscribers' subscriptions be extended by the number of free days offered to non subscribers the previous year.

No point getting too riled - nothing will change.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.