Author Topic: Anne Clark Birth 6 AUG 1819 Petty,Inverness,Scotland  (Read 826 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne Clark Birth 6 AUG 1819 Petty,Inverness,Scotland
« on: Wednesday 28 June 17 01:01 BST (UK) »
Looking for a 2nd great aunt Anne Clark

Baptism  13 Aug 1819

Her parents

Donald Clark -Schoolmaster in Petty

1785–1853

Jane Campbell

1789–1869

In 1841 she was with family at the schoolhouse
In 1851 she was still at schoolhouse and listed as a dressmaker

It seems that several family  members were in Canada before her father passed and at some point she also came to Canada.

In 1891 we find her in Ward 4, London City, Ontario, Canada with her sister Jane and Jane's husband Thomas Partridge (1808-30 OCT 1891) .  Given that she is listed as Anne Clark we assume she never married. 

So far no luck with a death.  We found the Partridges in a local cemetery but not Anne.  We know a brother William passed in London, ON in February 1874 and no burial for him either even though he was a prominent member of the community according to his obit.

Wondering what we may have missed.
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Clark Birth 6 AUG 1819 Petty,Inverness,Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
There also seems to be a Charles Clark, aged 66, in the household in the 1891 Census who is likely another brother.  I found a death record for a Charles Clark, a retired school teacher, born about 1824 in Scotland, in Middlesex County on July 20, 1899, living at 415 King Street, London.  Have you found a burial place for him?

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 20:46 BST (UK) »

So far no luck with a death.  We found the Partridges in a local cemetery but not Anne.  We know a brother William passed in London, ON in February 1874 and no burial for him either even though he was a prominent member of the community according to his obit

I saw a few trees with the obit on Anc for William, but it's not the full artlcle.  I just want to make sure you know there is much more to it, especially with William's involvement with "the old St Andrew's Church" in his old neighbourhood in London, and how involved prior Clark generations were involved with their church. 
I'm thinking it might be worth your while tracking down this Church, and seeing if they have their own cemetery on the grounds.  It would make sense that he, and perhaps his siblings would be buried there.

EDIT
After I posted above, I looked around for the Rev. of the above mentioned church, as he would be buried at the church if they indeed had a burial ground.
It turns out that during the time when your William was getting involved in St Andrews, the Rev William Proudfoot was there.  When Proudfoot died, he was buried in the Proudfoot family cemetery which, at some point, became the Oakland/Proudfoot Cemetery, where the Partridge's are buried.  So, all the Clark's are probably there, but, if you read about the cemetery here:
http://geneofun.on.ca/cems//ONMID12702 
you will see that records were lost in a fire, and the cemetery had been badly neglected.  Perhaps they are there, but the headstones damaged, or unreadable.
The index for the cemetery says they have taken pictures of all visible stones in the entire cemetery.  Looking at the index, there are many that just can't be read, but there is a couple where they can make out "Anne".

On the day of William Clark's funeral, the same newspaper that ran the obit put an entry in that his remains were interred this day, and the funeral was largely attended.  No mention of the where, just that he was interred.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

Regarding Charles Clark.  I have his birth and death info but sadly no burial found.

Regarding the Oakland Cemetery.  It is now part of Mt. Pleasant cemetery and I had looked at their online resources earlier thinking since Partridges were there, others would be.  I had not looked at the linked info regarding the destroyed records.

Earlier this week I visited the cemetery and spoke with them.  Strangely they did not mention the loss of records.  In any event their search found nothing.  Likely due to lost documents.

I also visited the other large London Cemetery, Woodland, and no luck there.

Sounds like there is more to be found in local newspaper records but we may never find a marker or location.

We will see what newspapers reveal.
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath