Author Topic: Death - South Australia  (Read 893 times)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death - South Australia
« on: Wednesday 28 June 17 06:53 BST (UK) »
I'm searching for the death of James Tanner, possibly between 1859 - 1861.  Have searched everywhere I can think of without success.
He seems to have been alive in April 1859 - when he is listed (SA Index death) as father of William George Prince Tanner.
His wife Maria Tanner (nee) Hunt, remarries (James Crabbe) 28 August 1861, she gives birth to a daughter (Margaret Forrest Crabbe), 5 December 1861 - four months after their marriage. James Crabbe's mother was Margaret Forrest (maiden name) so possibly named for her.

The children Maria Tanner (Hunt) had with James Tanner, only two reached adulthood, and married.  They both listed James TANNER as their father on their marriage transcript. They would only have been 5 & 6 when their mother married James Crabbe (1861). So they did not take their stepfather's surname.  Which leads me to think that James Tanner did not desert his family.

This is the link to what was found for the above family back in March - to save duplication and time searching.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767798.0

If James Tanner's death could be found it would be much appreciated - would close the chapter on him.

Sarra

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Death - South Australia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 17 01:10 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of thoughts, having also read your previous post and I see Cando helped a lot on that.  I agree there's no clearly applicable James TANNER deaths in SA.

I note James CRABBE and Maria HUNT/TANNER were married in a Church of England in 1861 which could indicate Maria was widowed or formally divorced.

But the fact Maria's status upon remarriage was not recorded (eg widow / divorcee) means you shouldn't assume James TANNER had died.

Wondering, of the two children who survived to adulthood and married, have you found a marriage notice for them? This sometimes indicates whether the father is regarded as "late" or not, at least at the time of that marriage.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 June 17 01:44 BST (UK) »
You could also have a look at the marriage register for St Andrew's Walkerville, which is available for 1861: http://www.catalog.slsa.sa.gov.au:80/record=b2195996~S1.

Walkerville St Andrew  Anglican  M  1849  1901  SLSA  http://www.jaunay.com/registers.html

Not sure it will say anything more than the civil marriage registration, but worth a look if you're in Adelaide.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 June 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no luck locating James TANNER's death :(
I notice that his son William George TANNER was interred at West Terrace Cemetery on 13/04/1859 at 14 Months of age.
One would expect that if James TANNER died close to this timeframe, he would also be interred at West Terrace Cemetery. Have you contacted the cemetery? records@aca.sa.gov.au
Also the church registers where William George TANNER's funeral service was conducted as again one would expect that if James TANNER died around this time his funeral service would be held in the same church.

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 June 17 06:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply - comments- suggestions.

Yes I agree Cando did give me a lot of help - which I am grateful for.

I have a transcript of the marriage for Maria Hunt/Tanner - James Crabbe -from saghs. It does not indicate if she was a widow or otherwise.  So yes I agree I should not assume that James Tanner was deceased.

When James Tanner married Maria Hunt in 1852, he claims to be a widower.  However my research indicates perhaps that was not true - which would make him a bigamist.   Anyway that's another story to be checked out.

Nothing found on Trove for the marriages of the two adult children of Maria & James Tanner.
I'll see if the St Andrew's Wakerville marriage register, has anymore information than what is on the marriage transcript. I don't live in  South Australia, so I'll have to find a way to view the register if possible.

Thank you.....

Sarra

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 June 17 06:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no luck locating James TANNER's death :(
I notice that his son William George TANNER was interred at West Terrace Cemetery on 13/04/1859 at 14 Months of age.
One would expect that if James TANNER died close to this timeframe, he would also be interred at West Terrace Cemetery. Have you contacted the cemetery? records@aca.sa.gov.au
Also the church registers where William George TANNER's funeral service was conducted as again one would expect that if James TANNER died around this time his funeral service would be held in the same church.
cupoflife, No haven't contacted the WT-Cemetery.  It indicates that the burial place for William George Prince Tanner - is unknown.  I looked at the form I had to fill in for a search of cemetery records for another burial sometime ago...it seems too much trouble to ask for a search - so I have not asked for one, for James TANNER.
Have no idea who conducted the funeral of William George Prince Tanner, or if there was a church service.  Searched Trove did not find a notice.

Thanks any help is always welcome.

Sarra