Author Topic: English / Blair Marriage - More help needed please  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: English / Blair Marriage - More help needed please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Goodness, you really do find puzzles :-)

Does this mean Robertina has lied about her home address when she got married and if so why?

Okay so Jeremiah Colvin and Jane Eunson were both from Shetland and were married in Lerwick in 1894.
https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/getperson.php?personID=I93466&tree=ID1

At some stage between 1894 and 1900  they moved to South Shields, there was a child James Robert born and died, bless him,  in Q2 1900, South Shields. So, unless you have something that would link either Eunson or Colvin to your tree, they are unlikely to be relatives. There were lots of ex-pat Shetlanders in the North East (including mine).

Many possibilities as to why she gave that address, maybe she knew them and stayed a little while before the marriage to comply with the residence requirement for banns? Maybe she boarded with them while working in South Shields? Maybe in between census years William temporarily was living and working in South Shields and she did the same to be nearer to him? I wouldn't expect Robertina to be on an electoral roll at that time anyway as she would almost certainly not have qualified to vote.

Why has Margaret Ann Moore changed who her father was?

That's a really difficult one, there is evidence (census returns etc) to show that its likely to be the same woman on both marriages.
Do the ages on both marriage records match with what you'd expect? - or do they just have the old standby of  'of full age'. Any clues with the witnesses names? Any Thompsons on either record?

I'm not finding a marriage for Margaret (Ann) Thomson to a groom called Moor(e) in the right time frame for her to be a widow by 1855 but that in itself isn't conclusive (especially as I failed to find a death for James Denham).
Its not beyond the realms of possibility that an error was made in the register (the register details would have been written in advance ready for signing so its 'possible' whoever did that got mixed up and put the wrong father's name down) but I checked the registrars site and there were no Thompsons married in September in St Hilda's so that's a real long shot.

or maybe, just maybe (I do know a case where it happened) she'd discovered that the man she thought was her Dad, wasn't. Quite how you'd prove any of the possible scenarios I am not sure.

Will have a think and post back if I come up with any straws to be clutched.

Oh and question your parents exhaustively about any other certs/documents etc etc  they may have squirrelled away ! :-) 
A few years ago I asked Pa in law (after scanning the myriad of certificates, grave deeds etc etc they had) if I could have his permission to apply for a copy his RN service record. Oh said he, that's in the sideboard in the dining room. When I enquired as to why he hadn't mentioned it he replied that he didn't think anyone would be interested!  What is gold dust to a researcher is just an old piece of paper to people who don't do this stuff :-)

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 September 17 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I don't have the copies of the registers with me to see if their is a Thompson on either of them but you are correct about the age, it just says of full age.

I think for my next check I'll look in North Shields library and see if William English is on the voters register at his census address consistently or if he has lived in South Shields for any period between 1901 and 1911.

I definitely haven't come across the Eunson or Colvin names anywhere before so I really don't think there's any connection there.

I'll try doing a newspaper search as well and see if I can find anything about a death for James Denham - you never know.

I think her father's name is correct on the first register entry, maybe he'd died by then and she'd put a step father's name?

I'll have a look at the registers tonight when I get home.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

A delayed reply but I've finally got to check the pages from the register again and their is no Thompson on the first one.

I have done a little more digging for James Denham, I checked some of the older census records and think I have found him with an occupation of merchant navy.

I've found some merchant navy records that match him on FindMyPast (even though his POB is Scotland he is recorded using a place of Tynemouth) but I'll have to wait until the weekend to get into the library to see what they are. I'm hoping they may name his wife or even have his death recorded.

Hope that might help focus things a bit.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)