Author Topic: Bethel Baptist Chapel Lower Chapel MI  (Read 3624 times)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Bethel Baptist Chapel Lower Chapel MI
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 July 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Llywel seem to be online, who are you looking for as I may be able to find them for you
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tyseren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you all  :)  I thought I'd provide a quick update.. I've now been to both chapels and had some success! 

For Bethel, I've found my Great great grandparents John and Catherine Powell and their son Edgar who was killed in WW1 (actually the first grave on the left as you enter the churchyard).  It was lovely to see the place so well cared for.  We're thinking of popping up to the chapel when it is open for service (the Baptist tradition has been passed down through the generations). 

For Horeb, I've had half success.  I've found the grave of the parents of John Powell (easily found near the door to the derelict chapel), but I understand that John's grandparents are also buried there and I can't locate them.  Considering the chapel is derelict the graveyard is well kept - but some parts look a little difficult/dangerous because of the hill and so I need to have someone with me when attempting to look at the outer reaches!!

I had indeed found the links in the newspaper.... there is an irony that I found out about the connection to Bethel Chapel through the news reports of the trial!  I'm relieved that he was acquitted though! (although it does sound like a very odd incident).
Thank you again
Helen

Offline baranan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 February 18 16:22 GMT (UK) »
My family have links too to Bethel, My great grandfather was a deacon and great-uncle till his death in 1973. The Baptist paper "Seren Cymru" have articles regarding deaths.
Still many Powell families in the area.
Daniel, Llannon;Davies, Llandygwydd & Llangeler; Price,Llandybie; Phillips, Llandyfaelog fach; Jones, Llangyndeyrn;