Author Topic: thinking of emailing or writing to a newspaper in Glasgow  (Read 685 times)

Offline fishy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thinking of emailing or writing to a newspaper in Glasgow
« on: Thursday 29 June 17 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thinking of emailing, or writing to a newspaper in Glasgow asking if they can print for me that I am trying to find a distant relative. could someone suggest to me which is the best paper to  contact.

Offline amberdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: thinking of emailing or writing to a newspaper in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 June 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
If you use Facebook, try a page called Lost Glasgow.  It's got quite a following and some really helpful folk.  The Daily Record might be worth considering.  Others may suggest another news paper.  Best of luck.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: thinking of emailing or writing to a newspaper in Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 June 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thinking of emailing, or writing to a newspaper in Glasgow asking if they can print for me that I am trying to find a distant relative. could someone suggest to me which is the best paper to  contact.
The Herald, previously known as the Glasgow Herald? Or the Evening Times?

I don't think Facebook is the best place because messages placed there soon fall off the bottom of the page, and it's almost impossible to follow a thread. But it wouldn't do any harm to put a post there - you have nothing to lose.

There are also surname mailing lists and message boards at www.rootsweb.com - it is surprising how often I get responses to things I posted there anything up to 20 years ago.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.