Author Topic: james howe  (Read 2109 times)

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james howe
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 June 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Robert

Concentrate on looking around more  for the Occupation- someone in the Plumbing/Gas fitting trade. Then look at the name, age  & pob etc, and elminate them if you can find earlier proof about them that shows they are not your man. It will take a bit of time, but I did manage to find a couple of my relatives doing the same kind of search

The house on North Parade had quite a few servants listed in 1871, so I would expect it to be quite a large house and maybe wealthy enough to  need that kind of handyman or service. And if he was a Lodger somewhere  then hh would provide census details

She wouldn't travel that far, says she was born Derby so may have family around Derby that she visited , went to market , church maybe on Sunday. Her social circle wouldn't be that wide given the lives and hours that Domestic Servants worked in those days

Good luck

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 June 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Robert

Concentrate on looking around more  for the Occupation- someone in the Plumbing/Gas fitting trade. Then look at the name, age  & pob etc, and elminate them if you can find earlier proof about them that shows they are not your man. It will take a bit of time, but I did manage to find a couple of my relatives doing the same kind of search

The house on North Parade had quite a few servants listed in 1871, so I would expect it to be quite a large house and maybe wealthy enough to  need that kind of handyman or service. And if he was a Lodger somewhere  then hh would provide census details

She wouldn't travel that far, says she was born Derby so may have family around Derby that she visited , went to market , church maybe on Sunday. Her social circle wouldn't be that wide given the lives and hours that Domestic Servants worked in those days

Good luck

cheers, ill try!

eliza knight was a rough lass, her dad was a deserter from the army in 1840, he altered his birthplace on every census and got into a few scrapes with the law. another of his daughters got into a fight and he encouraged her "wire in jenny "
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 July 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert

Just adding this suggestion. On the 1871 census there is a 24 year old Eliza Knight working as a Domestic Servant in a hh on North Parade , Derby.

Is she possibly the one that James Howe married, if so, have you tried using the census pages to "look around" that area to see if any Gas fitters/Plumbers show up.

He might have been a lodger in the same area as Eliza. They had to meet somewhere, and as a Dom Servant her life outdoors would be limited.

I suppose he could also have done work in the hh where Eliza was employed.
I am not familiar enough with Derby to say what kind of houses were on North Parade, but I'm sure there are members who will know

regards
lemur41

thats odd... i saw that previously, but now im on findmypast ive found what certainly is 'my' eliza knight as shes with her parents on river street derby.. and no sign of the eliza who was a domestic servant...

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 July 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
James

Your reply to my question "could the 24 year old Eliza  be yours " was "yes I believe so." There's a big difference between born c 1847 & c 1856. True I didn't ask you for her yob, and perhaps it was stated in your earlier post which I didn't read.

Have you noticeed the 27 year old Lodger living next door to the Knight family  on River Street, who was born London, and Occupation Engine Fitter.
 Perhaps  you could check him out on earlier & later census.

Good luck

lemur41

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 July 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
James

Your reply to my question "could the 24 year old Eliza  be yours " was "yes I believe so." There's a big difference between born c 1847 & c 1856. True I didn't ask you for her yob, and perhaps it was stated in your earlier post which I didn't read.

Have you noticeed the 27 year old Lodger living next door to the Knight family  on River Street, who was born London, and Occupation Engine Fitter.

Good luck

lemur41

you are right, i had previously viewed the domestic servant (about 18 months ago) and assumed it was 'my' eliza, i didnt check the dates of birth which is bad detective work.

i have only justy joined findmypast, so no, i hadnt/couldnt check nearby people on the census but that was one line of enquirey.

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 July 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
James

Good luck

lemur41

a quick search yeilds nothing, i cannot find this person (with any degree of certainty) before/after/birth or death anywhere in the uk.

i find that mighty suspicous. but im not sure why in 1871 he would be henry shepard, living next door to eliza knight, but marries her a year later as james howe... surely if he were to change his name he would do that when he moved up here, unless he told them that henry shepard was a false name and his real name was james howe - which would be a lie...

another thought is that 'james howe' knew (of) james knight, james knight came from kent or surrey (born surrey moved kent?) . james howe insists he was born in kent on the 2 census he appears on. james knight was here in derby by 1844 when henry shepard and or james howe (1846) was born. so not an obvious direct link, but maybe an in law or uncle/nephew?

if, as we think, james howe wasnt his real name because family tradition states 'only his wife knew his real identity and she/they took that to the grave', then after whatever he did , he moved to derby knowing james knight would help him out?..

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 July 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

That's OK, I assumed she was the one around the same age as her husband, when you didn't correct me. But if she was the 15 year old  who married within a year of the census to a  man  who said he was  10 years older, that does shift the focus slightly.

Do you have a copy of the mc, if so , does it give her age and  say that she married with a parent's consent. That would indicate that she was under 21 years of age, and depending when her birthday was, probably only just old enough to marry. I can't remember when the lower  age limit was raised to 16, in the 18th cent and before they could marry younger.
 I see that she was employed as a Mill Hand, so out a little bit in the wider world.
Try to remember though that conditions for all   women 150 years ago were totally different to today.
They had no rights.

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 July 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

That's OK, I assumed she was the one around the same age as her husband, when you didn't correct me. But if she was the 15 year old  who married within a year of the census to a  man  who said he was  10 years older, that does shift the focus slightly.

Do you have a copy of the mc, if so , does it give her age and  say that she married with a parent's consent. That would indicate that she was under 21 years of age, and depending when her birthday was, probably only just old enough to marry. I can't remember when the lower  age limit was raised to 16, in the 18th cent and before they could marry younger.
 I see that she was employed as a Mill Hand, so out a little bit in the wider world.
Try to remember though that conditions for all   women 150 years ago were totally different to today.
They had no rights.

i saw it on family search but those images can only be viewed for free at one of their centres now grrr. the marriage is mentioned quite a lot though, it was mentioned in the local newspaper - just that they were marrying that is.

odd thing is, i cannot pin down elizas actual birth. i see she was christened in 1858, her marriage gives her age as 19, so 1853, but the census suggest she was born in 1855 or 1856. her grave says she was 74 in 1929, so born 1855. shes buried with her daughter mary jane and her son in law james atkins. james howe is in a paupers grave. hmmm thats a thought, who is he buried with?.. i think i might have that info somewhere. (hashtag isinamess)

accuracy didnt matter to james knight, his birth was anything between 1811 and 1822 according to the census. lol.

the marriage cert gave james howes father as william, he was a farmer, i can find no william howe being a farmer either in derbys or kent.

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 July 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
without the mariage, i have 2 census and one death for james howe... both census have him in hythe kent (1881, 1891) with being born in 1846 and 1847. his death cert in 1893 gives his age as 43, 2 years younger then he was for the census in 1891, lol. that means he could have been born in 1850, which is no age gap if eliza was 1853.