Author Topic: WW2 Aircraft ID Please  (Read 2162 times)

Offline 12tootsi34

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Aircraft ID Please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 July 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
It could be the Avro Oxford. This came out earlier than the Anson, which I've flown in many times. Both were used in the outset of the WW2.
West, Alexander, Banham, Balchin.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 July 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
It could be the Avro Oxford

This is definitely an Anson. The Airspeed Oxford was in service at the same time but that was a very different design.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 July 17 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest 12tootsi and Shaun....my son Is in the RAF and has had it confirmed that Keitht and Palmtree's information is correct.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 July 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
       My father has written on the reverse of this: "On 1st January 1945, a German air attack destroyed this Anson and two other planes we had been repairing."     He was with a Repair Gang.     He fixed up Ansons a lot.     

The planes would come back shot to bits and he and his gang had to do the best they could to get them back in flying condition as quick as possible.       Amusingly, in the photo, the arrow on the Anson's fuselage points to my father!     

He was at Molsbroeuk aerdrome in Brussels when this was taken.     

P.S.    Problem with attaching photo of an Anson - sorry about that!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 July 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Doddsie and thanks for sharing....what a great photo to have. It might be a good idea to post it on the photo restoration board to have it repaired and cleaned, remember to rename the file if you re-post it though.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 July 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
My father was also an air mechanic. He worked in this country on many different types of aircraft. He was also a pilot but too old for front line duty. He told me the story of the time when he had an Anson under his charge. It was unserviceable in that it ran out of puff much above 1,000 feet. A snotty young Squadron Leader came up to my father and announced that he had to get to Oxford immediately and expected to be flown there in the Anson. When told that it was U/S he said he didn't care, he wanted it anyway, so my old man flew it from Lytham St Annes to Oxford at treetop height. The Squadron Leader was as sick as a dog.

Keith

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 July 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
That gives a new meaning to Comeuppance  ;D ;D
Good on your Father Keith ...I hope he enjoyed the pay back.
Carol

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Snotty young Squadron Leaders can get themselves and others killed unnecessarily!

Anson introduction   1936
Retired from the RAF   28 June 1968. As a boy I saw many an Anson fly over. 

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
        A few years ago, I was surprised to read somewhere that there were more Ansons built during the war than any other plane.     My father loved that plane.       He joined at Glasgow before the war - in 1936.    Planes fascinated him.    He was in the RAF for 10 years.   

People forget that just to SEE a plane in the early thirties was a very rare, hugely exciting event.       He was at Glasgow, Montrose, Wick, Weston Super Mare (Locking) and various other places, before going over to Belgium soon after D-Day.     He and my mother were bombed at Wick and Weston, etc.    Usually they had the chance to make for an air raid shelter but sometimes they didn't bother.     Several times they were forced to hide under the bed.             

They had married in September 1939!!!       My mother then followed him around.     One odd thing is that they were in lodgings ("digs") right next to most airports.       ...I speculate that if you were Ground Crew this was normal, but if you were a "Flyer" you were in Nissen huts next to, or near the airstrip.       Dad used to tell me that he and those of them who repaired the planes looked up to those who flew them with huge respect and admiration at all times.      And quite right too!