Author Topic: German records - come to a dead end - Hemstedt family  (Read 2177 times)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German records - come to a dead end - Hemstedt family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 June 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Well done JustinL.

Looks like you've found life before they came to UK and PaulineJ has some great find. PaulineJ and myself have proved births of children with 2 women.

If you have access to sites you will be able to confirm what we have found. GRO is very good now to search for mother's maiden name prior to 1911.

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline LornaJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 July 17 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for taking the time to search the records for me. Thank you too for the two personal messages nudging me to look at what has been found. These records are fascinating, however, they put a spanner in my works for if they are correct, then I shall need to work out where I have gone wrong with my tree thus far. The trouble I have is this:

Elizabeth Mary Hempsted born Jan 1887 is my great-grandmother. She was born in Hackney.

Census records state that her father was Henry John Hemstedt. Born May 1860 in Colchester.

His father is Henry Hemstedt - the one I am trying to find. However, 1871 census records state that his mother is Mary Ann - not Julia.

I must have gone wrong somewhere, but where I do not know. Did Henry have two families? Having both Lubeck and Colchester associated with both Mary Ann Pottinger and Julia Bloomfield is odd.

Again, thank you all. I am going to have to scratch my head and start again with my great-grandmother I think!

Warmest regards, Lorna
Cluff (Essex region)
Braganza (Goa, India)
Hemstedt (Lubeck, Germany)
Whittaker (Essex and London)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 July 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
It's not Mary Ann Pottinger it's Mary Ann Downing see the later births mother's maiden name it's Downing.

Census records show the relationship to the head of the family so Henry John 1860 is the son of the head of the family i.e. Henry Snr and Mary Ann is down as Henry Snr's wife not necessarily the mother of the children.

You have to be careful when more than 1 mother is involved. A new husband is more apparent if the children keep their father's surname. We've all learned this and I've tripped up over this, now I am more careful.

This is where to check the maiden name of the mother.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Put Henry John (1861 birth registration) in the boxes and you'll see his mother's maiden name as a result of the search, it's not Mary Ann. You can order his birth certificate from this site at £9.25 - do not go to any other site for birth, marriage or death certs. as they charge extra.

Hope this helps you.

:)

GEDmatch M157477

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 July 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
Time for review(s). Spanners-a-plenty
1901 census. Head of house is a shoemaker
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X98M-WHN

There are another couple of births to this family unit after agnes

HEMSTEDT, AGNES  WINIFRED     FARRELL     1898  J Quarter  HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 578
HEMSTEDT, THOMAS  PATRICK     FARRELL     1896  M Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 575
HEMSTEDT, FRANCIS  JOSEPH     FARRELL     1893  S Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 584
HEMSTEDT, HENRY  EDWARD FRANCIS FARRELL     1891  M 1/4 in POPLAR  Volume 01C  Page 595
(death? HEMSTEDT, HENRY  EDWARD FRANCIS 1891  S1/4 POPLAR  Volume 01C  Page 339)
HEMSTEDT, HELEN  THERESA     FARRELL     1889  M Quarter in POPLAR  Volume 01C  Page 596
HEMSTEDT, ELIZABETH  MARY     FARRELL     1887  M Quarter in POPLAR  Volume 01C  Page 587
HEMSTEDT, HENRY  JOSEPH     FARRELL     1885  M Quarter in POPLAR  Volume 01C  Page 616

1891 census. Head-of-house is a Boot maker
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QHHC-7MM

Marriage appears to have been in Colchester Dec 1883.

Still no Pottinger(s) around. Can we ask where you picked up the name?

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 July 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
Just spotted Julia (with lubeck-born elizabeth) in 1871
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFFT-5DX

The earlier (ie before elizabeth) kids b to Julia are residing with Henry Hemstedt &Mary Ann Downing

In 1881, Julia's re-acquired her 1863 kid Edward William Hemstedt.

At least in all this, your line is through Julia, i suspect we'll never work out who mary ann downing was.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 July 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
The source for Pottinger may well be family trees on ancestry.

There are a couple of trees for Henry Hemstedt and they report that Mary Ann / Marianne was a Pottinger. There are, of course, no documents to substantiate the assertion!!

Mary Ann's birthplace is anything but clear; they were reported in the censuses as follows:

1871 - Norwich
1881 - St. Giles, London
1891 - Deptford
1901 - Norwich
1911 - London

Justin

Offline LornaJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 July 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

I cannot thank you enough for the time and efforts you have put into this search for me. This part of my family tree has been a mystery for several years, and yet with all your expertise you have managed to uncover so much in just a few days. It appears that Henrich was a character! I am now on a quest to find exactly what he was up to on all those travels!

Once again, grateful thanks to you all and happy future researching,
Lorna
Cluff (Essex region)
Braganza (Goa, India)
Hemstedt (Lubeck, Germany)
Whittaker (Essex and London)