Author Topic: Settlement Certificate  (Read 1668 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Settlement Certificate
« on: Thursday 29 June 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
I have "found" a settlement certificate for my 3x great grandmother.
 It states Parish of legal settlement Truswell, that she is pregnant and the Lincs archives have a settlement for Stow in Lindsay.
Does this mean she was living in Truswell and then moved to Stow please?
Her son was baptised in Gainsborough a short while later.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Settlement Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
What is her name  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 July 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Martha Otter baptised 28 Aug 1803 in Laneham. Married Edward Jenkinson 7 Dec 1829 in Thorney, Notts. Buried 22 Aug 1855 in Stowe in Lindsey.
Settlement certificate 3rd Sept 1827-Truswell ( presume this to be Treswell, I am getting too close for comfort to the murderer Tom Otter for my liking  ???)
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 July 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
Does this mean she was living in Truswell and then moved to Stow please?
Not necessarily. Martha may never have lived in Truswell/Treswell. All the settlement certificate tells you is that Truswell/Treswell was her parish of legal settlement, and that they had agreed to bear any relief costs if she were to become chargeable to the poor law whilst living in another parish (in this case, presumably, Stow in Lindsey).

If Martha was single, her parish of settlement would be the same as her father’s until she gained a settlement in her own right. So Truswell/Treswell might have been his parish of legal settlement. But by the age of 24 Martha might already have done some action of her own to gain a settlement there, such as serving an apprenticeship or working as a yearly hired servant.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 July 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that excellent summing up Bookbox. I was not seeing the wood for the tree's. Her father was not connected to Treswell, although I have not found a burial for him, he was baptised in Sturton cum Fenton and his children baptised in Laneham.

"by the age of 24 Martha might already have done some action of her own"
She certainly did something.....her child was born in Dec 1827..... no father, so I suppose the Parish were thrilled  ;D

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Larkspur,

Good to see that you seem to have found more on the Otter's and are you certain that this is 'our' Martha, mother William Otter?

Bigpotts
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 July 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that excellent summing up Bookbox.

I have to agree it was excellent  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 July 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Larkspur,

Good to see that you seem to have found more on the Otter's and are you certain that this is 'our' Martha, mother William Otter?

Bigpotts

Hi, I think I sent you a private mail with all the details of William Otter and my findings. This was quite a while ago, did you not receive it?

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 July 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Larkspur,

I've got a new email account and lost alot of old emails, so I'd appreciate it if you could send the details again, though not sure how I let you know my new email address?

Bigpotts
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London