Author Topic: Do the Blundells just collect waifs and strays?  (Read 814 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Do the Blundells just collect waifs and strays?
« on: Thursday 29 June 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
In my tree I have Thomas Blundell (1834-1904) m. in 1869 at Newington, Surrey to Mary Ann Twigg b. 1847 Walworth, Surrey.

Their one and only child Elizabeth Amelia Blundell is born 1870 Lambeth.

The 1881 census (RG11/P685/F58/Pg11) shows Elizabeth Amelia and an adopted son 11 month old Sidney Henry Bennett.  I believe he is the Sidney Henry Bennett registered June 1880 in St. Saviour Surrey with no mmn.

By 1891(RG12/P858/F114/Pg39) Elizabeth is not with Thomas and Mary who are now living in Portsea, Hampshire with a different adopted son William Donelly aged 3 and there are two visitors Charles Paine 12 apparently born Wigtown, Staffordshire and Thomas Paine 11 born Glasgow Scotland.  I believe William Donelly is registered as William James Donelly in D 1887 at Camberwell, again with mmn unknown.

By 1901 Thomas Blundell is in the workhouse in Ticehurst, I can't find either Elizabeth or Mary Ann Blundell and William Donelly (RG13/P997/F33/Pg27) is lodging in Portsea, Hampshire with Charles Paine and his wife Florence.  I don't know what has happened to Thomas Paine.

In 1911 (RG14/P5594) William Donelly is residing in Portsmouth with his wife and child.

I did a little bit of digging on the Paines and they seem to be the grandchildren of Thomas and Hannah Paine, who in 1881 are Travelling Showmen located on the Pomona Palace Ground with children born all over the place.

This seems to be a real mismatch of people and I just wondered whether anyone had come across anything like this before.

Is there any connection between the Blundells, the Paines, Sidney Bennet or William Donelly that anyone can find?

Thanks, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Do the Blundells just collect waifs and strays?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 June 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
The children may be orphans who were farmed out to the family. The family would have been paid for this.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do the Blundells just collect waifs and strays?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Barnados arranged couples to foster orphan children. The subject came up in Lesley Sharp WDYTYA.
The foster parents were given a payment to cover costs of caring for child/children
Patience was the surname that Lesley was following. Her relations were the foster parents.

JFCH