Author Topic: SotlandsPeople - Hints for deciding on a Birth Please  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SotlandsPeople - Hints for deciding on a Birth Please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 September 17 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosinish,

Thank you for the reply.

Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 September 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
As you can search for free on Scotlands people before deciding which documents to purchase you can keep changing parameters to see which year your man crops up in .
I m just going to look for the link on how I did that  .
..I think it was by starting doing a general search with just surname and a specific region and decade ...
Then changing the decades then giving one initial of first name ...for example A. McKay will give you all the Ann's Alexander's Agnes and Angus so if you have a family you will see which siblings occur same year

Does that make sense .?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 September 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
When using the naming tradition method you have to bear in mind that both grandmothers may have had the same christian name

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 September 17 01:53 BST (UK) »
A belated thank you to brigidmac and sancti,

Thank you for your input.
I have quite decided that my Gibson's left Scotland too early for ScotlandsPeople to be of any help to me, and Andrew Brown and Janet Shields, with only two appearances for the births of their two daughters were obviously aliens, never to be seen again ;D

Regards
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,